By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Thought it was Ectopic - but egg is missing??

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
CP1967

Thought it was Ectopic - but egg is missing??

Post by CP1967 »

Good Morning
I am looking for advice for my 19 year old daughter. She fell pregnant and the hospital suspected an ectopic pregnancy (really high levels of hormones found). They rushed her in Monday and did a Laparoscopy yesterday. they could not find the egg in the tubes or the ovaries?? I asked them to look to see if she has Endometriosis whilst they were in that area (I had it and I suspect my daughter has too as she suffers really badly), I am also pretty sure that Ectopic and Endometriosis can go hand in hand? No news from her doctors on Endometriosis - I live 5 hours away due to work and her dad has been in the hospital, neither of them are very good at asking the right questions.
Her consultant has now said she will have an injection to terminate the pregnancy but I am worried about implications - where is the egg, why does she have high hormone levels - is this something more sinister than pregnancy?
I am reaching out to anyone who can perhaps guide me in the right direction so that I can help her.
Thanks for reading

EPT Host 20

Re: Thought it was Ectopic - but egg is missing??

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear CP1967,
I am so sorry to hear of your daughter's ectopic pregnancy and loss and the worrying time you are all going through.
Sadly I am not medically trained and without access to medical records, cannot give you specific advice on your daughter's symptoms.
Generally speaking, if no pregnancy can be seen in the uterus, or there is a small gestation sac in the uterus without a yolk sac or embryo, the pregnancy will be medically labelled as a Pregnancy of Unknown Location or PUL. It is important to understand that PUL is not a diagnosis; it is a label given until the final location of the pregnancy can be identified with certainty. In the event of a PUL, blood will be taken to measure serum progesterone and hCG and the hCG test repeated 48 hours later. The doctors would also want to repeat the scan.

Until the location of the pregnancy is known definitively or the serum hormone levels have decreased to below pregnancy levels, there is a risk of complications associated with an as yet undiagnosed ectopic pregnancy. For every 100 pregnancies labelled as a PUL about 10 will subsequently be found to be ectopic; and not all of these will need treatment.

We have more information about ectopic pregnancy and locations of ectopic pregnancy here
https://www.ectopic.org.uk/patients/wha ... pregnancy/
I presume she has had scans aswell as a laparoscopy, and although I am not sure what you mean by sinister, I would like to think they would have found anything else during these examinations.

Although ectopic pregnancy is more likely with endometriosis, it is not known why endometriosis increases risk of ectopic pregnancy and sadly many of us never find out the reason as to why we experience ectopic pregnancy.

I would say, helping her at this point will be to listen and support her. Often the time of diagnosis and treatment can be a confusing time and when we are discharged home, the emotional impact of losing our babies becomes apparent. She will need time to come to terms with what has happened and thinking about future fertility and endometriosis can be something to be discussed with a Dr or fertility Dr, when she feels ready.

Sending much love to you both,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************