By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Bleeding during ectopic pregnancy?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
fifilee

Bleeding during ectopic pregnancy?

Post by fifilee »

Is it normal to bleed during an ectopic pregnancy if it hasn’t ruptured?

My local hospital have been so unhelpful and have not been able to answer any of my questions about what is happening to me.

I don’t understand why I’m bleeding so much. I started bleeding a couple of days before I had my first dose of methotrexate (I ended up needing 2 doses). It’s going on for 3 weeks now and my hcg levels are finally decreasing but I’m still bleeding. Can anyone enlighten me on what is going on?

Hopefloats18

Re: Bleeding during ectopic pregnancy?

Post by Hopefloats18 »

I don’t know if this is helpful but I have been advised to get The methotrexate and I’m worried it won’t work and wants the point my levels are taking forever to come down they are currently 3200 and dropping 100 a day so it will be another two months at this rate I wanted to know if I should get injection ? What were your levels ? My levels r not coming down fast enough ! I have read you can bleed for months x

Ashley87

Post by Ashley87 »

I bled so much that I thought I had miscarried. I went to epu for them to confirm miscarriage and that's when they did an internal scan and diagnosed eptopic. I had no other symptoms and had not ruptured. My levels were so high though that surgery was the only option.

fifilee

Post by fifilee »

My levels were 1500 when I got my first dose but unlike yours they had been increasing. They continued to rise to 2300 so they gave me a second dose. They’re now down to 549 and thats 10 days after my last dose but I’m in pain a lot. Although it’s not constant, it comes in waves and sometimes it’s really intense that I can’t stand up.

My bleeding had eased off a bit and was quite light about a week ago but it’s getting heavier again. I don’t know what to do. When I tell the nurses at hospital their only criteria seems to be “is it constant pain?” and “are you soaking through 2 pads in an hour?” Because I’m not, iv just been left to cope by myself.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear fifilee,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
It is not unusual for women to bleed after treatment for ectopic pregnancy. The first bleed that occurs after treatment for ectopic pregnancy is not classed as a period. It is the body's response to falling hormone levels because you are sadly no longer pregnant. The body expels the lining of the uterus that had built up in preparation for the pregnancy because it is no longer needed. This process involves vaginal bleeding - it can be clotty or like one of your usual periods and some women have bleeding/spotting for up to six weeks.
While this is usually nothing to worry about, if you find that the bleeding increases so that you are soaking more than a pad in an hour or have offensive smelling discharge or body temperature of more than 37°C, please do get medical attention.

It is normal to feel pain after methotraxate injection, mine was like a bad period pain. We would advise taking regular painkillers as prescribed.
Whilst I do not wish to alarm you, there is still a risk of rupture with reducing and low hCG levels, so if the pain worsens or you develop any shoulder tip pain or become dizzy and unwell, please seek urgent medical advice.

As a gentle reminder, please do not undertake any strenuous exercise or lifting or housework while your hCG levels are dropping. You should not resume exercise until your hCG levels are falling consistently and are in the low 100s.

I have added the link to our website information on your body after ectopic pregnancy here.
https://www.ectopic.org.uk/patients/you ... pregnancy/

We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************