By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Unexpected ectopic pregnancy...

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
VMM27

Unexpected ectopic pregnancy...

Post by VMM27 »

This is the first time I've ever joined a forum. Just feeling a bit lost and depressed. First I'll tell you a bit about how I got to be here.

March 4th I found out I was pregnant after taking a home pregnancy test. Me and my partner had just started trying 3 months prior so we were very excited. I had a miscarriage the year before so we were keeping it on the down low until I hit the 3 month mark. My first blood work came back a bit low (255)... I was however feeling pregnant and doctor reassured me that it's fine as long as it keep going up. A week later I knew something was wrong as I started feeling less "pregnant". Some how are bodies just know. My next blood work came back 168.. So it was obvious it was not a viable pregnancy. I was heartbroken as this would be my second miscarriage. (I have been pregnant 3 times - have a 5 and a half year old son and 2 miscarriages). I was sent for an ultra sound to see what was going on - when I saw my doctor for results she said that the worst part is over... that there was no embryo viable inside the uterus (or out) and that I should have no problems passing the rest of the tissue naturally. Sure enough a couple days after ultra sound I had what felt like a period from [heck]. Very heavy bleeding and clotting. This lasted a week and after that my breast tenderness completely went away and I felt back to my normal self (except for still being heartbroken over another miscarriage).

This is where it got very confusing for me.

2 weeks after my miscarriage my breast tenderness came back annd figured i must be getting my actual period (however a part of me was hoping at the possibility of being pregnant again). I took a home pregnancy test to make sure it was negative after my miscarriage... however it was still positive... next day I was having some spotting and on came a terrible pain.... Sharpe pains radiating all over my pelvis area and down to my rectum. The worst pressure I have ever felt in the uterus area... it hurt to sit on the toilet- felt like something was going to fall out there was so much pressure ... the pain continued to the next day but had subsided to more a constant pressure with the odd shooting Sharpe pain. I went to my doctor who just ordered a blood test for HGC. Results cane back at 498 .. now I was very confused. Was this the same pregnancy from March or a new one.. and if it was a new one it felt like another miscarriage all over again. (Although this was a pain I had never felt).

I went to ER the next day as the pain was continuing - something to me just didn't feel right. My blood work came back at 687 - they first said that I may not have been able to pass all the tissue and could need a D &C.- but they wanted to confirm with the gyno if they needed a new ultrasound or if they will just go ahead with the procedure. She cane back and said... "well based on your results from March that would not have been a viable pregnancy so we will do another ultra sound to see what is going on" z as the number weren't adding up/ making sense. Her saying that made it seem like this could be a new pregnancy.. maybe it was just more painful cause it was right after a miscarriage... my mind was all over the place. Fast forward to after the ultrasound the doctor and nurse came over and I could tell immediately it was something I would not want to hear. "Unfortunately it is an ectopic pregnancy in your right tube, we know this is something you didn't want to hear". I honestly didn't even know what to say - I feel like that was the worst case scenario and it didn't even occur to me that it would happen to me.i just started crying.. I couldn't hold it back. The nurse and doctor was so nice about it and let me know the gyno would come over to discuss options. He did say that this was my march pregnancy But didn't seem 100% confident. That would put me at 8 weeks. Just don't get why i would go from feeling pregnant. Then having a full week of passing heavy clots and bleeding. To not feeling pregnant for 2 weeks after that. And then back to feeling pregnant again.and my numbers were even higher than my first blood work??. But I don't know.

Anyways, I went ahead with the methotrexate injections as i was not ready to lose my tube (even thought it could be permanently damaged now..)And I go back to see him tomorrow to see how it's working.

Don't feel like I've had time to fully process it. I feel overwhelmed with emotions... when I think about the possibility of future pregnancies after this it makes me break out into tears and feel depressed.

Has anyone here gone on to have a healthy pregnancy after ectopic? Did anyone have reoccurring ectopic pregnancies? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

EPT Host 20

Re: Unexpected ectopic pregnancy...

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear VMM27,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and losses,
When we experience ectopic pregnancy we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense and your feelings are completely normal.

It is normal to feel anxious about the future. We experience a mix of emotions from wanting to try again to being petrified of what may lie ahead. We never forget but we can learn to accept what happened. It is a slow process that might be weeks or months ahead. In time, we can get to a place where we feel comfortable trying again. When this is, is individual for each person. There is no timeframe for recovery, take each day as it comes.
Importantly early scans avail. As soon as you know you are pregnant, contact your local EPU to inform them and book in for an early scan at around six weeks. Remind them of your previous ectopic pregnancy. This self refer route is the best route in our view. Hopefully you will have some comfort to know you are under the radar of medical professionals right away.
The chances of a further ectopic after a first in UK is 10%. So that's 90% chance of the embryo being in right place next time.
While generally it is possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy, the amount of time it takes varies from couple to couple. Factors include age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have sex, among other things. It may be comforting to know that 65% of women are successfully pregnant within 18 months of experiencing an ectopic pregnancy and some studies suggest this rises to around 85% after two years.

There is no time frame for how long it takes us to heal emotionally and it is completely normal to feel anxious about the future. We will never forget our pregnancy or babies but we can learn to accept what has happened and crucially understand that it wasn't our fault.

Making the decision to begin trying to conceive is an emotional rollercoaster compounded by our sad loss. Again, you are not alone. We here emotional support whenever you need us. There is a specific Preparing for your next pregnancy board you can look at too whenever feel ready.

Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************