By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Periods after ectopic pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Georgina14

Periods after ectopic pregnancy

Post by Georgina14 »

Hi ladies,

I was just wondering how have your periods been after EP?

I was expectantly managed. I had my first period 5 weeks after my HCG Level reached negative, they were normal just slightly heavier for the first two days. Now I’m 6 days overdue. I can’t help but feel paranoid that something is wrong.

Thankyou in advance. G xx

Lily123

Re: Periods after ectopic pregnancy

Post by Lily123 »

Hi my ectopic was managed expectantly too, I didn’t get a period for 3 months after and still havnt had one as 1 got pregnant before they came back, and all is well so don’t worry, your body is doin it’s best xxx

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear G,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
Your periods can take a while to get back to a rhythm that is more usual for you. I also found that my periods changed for a few months after my losses.
The first period may be more painful or less so than usual, heavier or lighter, last for longer or shorter than usual – there really is no set pattern. You should be able to manage the discomfort with over-the-counter pain relief and should not be soaking a pad in less than an hour. If this is not the case, you should seek medical attention.

As a gentle reminder regarding conceiving again, we and many medical professionals advise waiting for two menstrual cycles. It is important to allow time for your body to recover and emotions to surface and be worked through. This is so that you have some comfort that your body is returning to its natural rhythm and you have a last menstrual period date from which to date a new pregnancy - key information in checking you are not suffering from an ectopic pregnancy in the future. As you mentioned your period was late, if you have had unprotected sexual intercourse during this time, I would advise taking a pregnancy test and if negative, repeat a week later if you have not started your period.
I completely understand how worrying it all is, but we are here for you for as long as you need,

Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Tay8

Post by Tay8 »

Hi Ladies. I’m new to these forums so hope I’m doing this right.
I had my ectopic 25th January this year. I had bleeding after my surgery, and had a 3 day period 27th Feb. Although it was painful I got through it. I met with the surgeon in March & he said I can start trying again. I’m now 18 days late or 47 days after the first day of my last period. I have done pregnancy tests, the cheapy ones & clear blue all say negative. The doctor said to go hospital to have some bloods done, I’m anxious & im driving myself mental with going so much I keep putting it off.. we’ve had such a rubbish year and I’m so scared in case they find something else wrong now. Has anyone had late late periods? Am I overthinking? Any guidance to help me would be great!
Thank you in advance,

Taidi x

Georgina14

Post by Georgina14 »

Hi @Tay8

I am going through the exact same thing as you. I had my last period in March post ectopic, I am now 22 days late, I basically didn’t have a period in April. I have done plenty pregnancy tests all negative. I have a weird pain from my lower belly to down there, which nags me when I walk.
I wonder if you found a solution?

Gabbie xx

Tay8

Post by Tay8 »

Hi Gabbie,

I braced myself & took myself into hospital walk in centre, got blood tests done. The results the following day were fine, my doctor said ‘everything is fine, no action required’ so I questioned this & they told me that it’s still my body adjusting. I didn’t have a period throughout the whole of March.
I went to a relaxing hot tub lodge and took in country fresh air, relaxed & put my issues and worries aside & came on my period.
I was having pains in my lower stomach area too before my period came.

If your pregnancy tests are negative, contact your GP & tell them the situation. Ask for bloods to be done.
Let me know how you get on, don’t stress though, it’s just probably your body getting back into a rhythm. Xx

Georgina14

Post by Georgina14 »

Thankyou @Tay8 , oh dear it just had to do something like that didn’t it :lol: typical Mother Nature.

I’ll contact the Gp & get some bloods done! xx