By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Tired of being tired!

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Log300

Tired of being tired!

Post by Log300 »

Hi all,

Tomorrow marks 3 weeks post surgery for me. Physically I’ve done really well (no pain, I can bend, stretch, walk into town, etc) but the fatigue after any kind of mental effort is unbareable! I’m so bored doing mindless tasks but any kind of concentration kills me. I’m desperate to go back to work to take my mind off it all but even short car journeys send me straight to sleep! I’d never cope with the commute let alone the work!

So I guess I have two questions -

1) has anyone else experienced a really quick physical recovery but a really, really slow recovery from the fatigue?

2) how do you cope with the post-surgery boredom/fatigue?! It’s driving me insane! (And makes me obsess about reading the same websites with info about fertility/trying again, etc!)

TIA

Xx

MamaJoy

Re: Tired of being tired!

Post by MamaJoy »

It took me several weeks to feel normal again. It's the anesthetic, it can takes months to leave your system completely. It's important that you give yourself time to recover fully. I know it's frustrating, I felt it too. Physically I felt OK within a few weeks.

Do you have any good books to read? A good boxset to get into, anything that you can lose yourself in for a few hours? Doing too much, too soon will make your recovery longer in the long run.

I hope you feel better soon

Log300

Post by Log300 »

Hi again MamaJoy! (“Again” because I’ve just realised this is my third reply to you on different threads!)

In just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to respond - it’s so helpful to hear that this fatigue is normal! (No one seems to understand my fatigue and have even suggested to me that it’s not post-surgery fatigue at all but that I’m depressed and that I should be pushing myself back to work to stave off the depression!)

I guess mostly I was just wanting to hear that I’m valid I’m feeling this tired and it’s not that I’m imagining it, or being lazy, or making things worse and bringing on depression by not pushing through it.

Books feel a bit much to concentrate on but box sets might work. A friend brought me a magazine when I first left hospital and that was short enough to read, so maybe I should explore that avenue again... or short books I can dip in and out of.

I’ve got an appointment with the GP to discuss my fatigue too, but until then these ideas and reassurances will keep me going. Thank you :)

MamaJoy

Post by MamaJoy »

Hi, happy to respond, sometimes it can be a lonely and confusing time.

Your body has just been through something huge, and traumatic. People shouldn't be telling you to go back to work, you need rest. Poke them in the eye if they say it again. The fact that you don't have the energy to read a book should tell them all they need to know.

And as for depression, it might still come. Mine kicked in months after my surgery, it didn't last long but it would've been hard to be at work at that time (I'm self employed so luckily was able to take all the time I needed). And you should too, this is physical and emotional, and don't think that because you'd only known about your pregnancy for a few weeks that you don't have the right to mourn your baby, you do.

I know that if I lost this baby now, I'd mourn it just as much as the babies I lost at nearly 12 weeks.

Please take care, be kind to yourself, and take it easy. I can recommend The Good Wife boxset if you haven't seen it :)