By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

what happens next?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Jessonl13

what happens next?

Post by Jessonl13 »

Hi,
Firstly, what a great resource, nothing like this has happened to me before (i know im very lucky) and its a relief to find this so I can talk to people who have been through this. I had surgery on Saturday night - I thought I had trapped wind last week but on Friday afternoon suddenly felt fluey and shivery and then had some bleeding so i phoned the brilliant 111 and they referred me to the out of hours gp. they did a standard pregnancy test which was negative and they thought i might have appendicitis so i was admitted over night for tests when i then had two positive pregnancy tests. on sat morning i was transferred to the early pregnancy unit and then was told it was ectopic and it had ruptured. im now at home recovering and i left the leaflet they gave me to read at the hospital by accident!

i wondered if you could tell me what i can expect of my next period which would ordinarily be due in about two weeks? im trying to take it easy though its hard to do nothing when all this has happened.
thank you!

EPT Host 22

Re: what happens next?

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Jesson13,

I am so sorry to hear that you have suffered an ectopic pregnancy and loss. I'm glad you have found your way to these boards, as they are filled with women and men who understand the experience. You've been through so much in a short amount of time, and I can imagine there are different feelings and emotions you may be having.

It's most important to look after yourself right now. You've been through both physical and emotional trauma, and it's important to take time to heal from these. Each woman is unique in her recovery, and there is not set time period or process. You asked about the return of your period, many women experience changes to their menstrual cycles after an ectopic pregnancy and it can take some time to settle back into a rhythm that is more usual for you. Periods can be heavier or lighter or more painful than before - as we are so individual there isn't necessarily a set pattern. Doctors consider menstrual cycles of between 23-42 days to be within normal parameters and, if you find that you are not within these sorts of timeframes, it would be a good idea to speak to your doctors just to be on the safe side.

Know that we are here for you throughout your recovery, whether you have questions or want to vent. We are here for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
******************************************************************************************

Jessonl13

Post by Jessonl13 »

Thank you so much, it really does make me feel better to know I can ask questions and be understood. i have only told my family a handful of my friends and those because they have been through something similar and they are being brilliant. i just don't want to answer all of the inevitable questions that come with telling someone what happened. i expect i will find that easier as time goes by but for the moment I'm pretty happy hiding out at home for another couple of days! thanks again x

EPT Host 22

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Jessonl13,

I can completely relate to the decision to take sometime for yourself before sharing with others. You might find that journaling is helpful. For me, I had so many thoughts and feelings. Some I only realized thought writing, and the writing was helpful in organizing my thoughts before sharing with others.

Be well,
Michele