By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Do I have to stay in hospital with methotrexate?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Daisy1986

Do I have to stay in hospital with methotrexate?

Post by Daisy1986 »

Hi, this is my first ectopic pregnancy and apart from a good cry yesterday I am feeling fairly ok about it. I had a miscarriage only 8 weeks ago which I personally found harder as I’d had about 6 weeks to get used to the idea of having a baby. This time I didn’t know I was pregnant and only found out when I went to GAU with spotting, which I thought might’ve been left over from my miscarriage.
Anyway, I’ve been told I should be ok to have methotrexate as my hcg levels are low and I have no pain. I was just wondering how it works, is it just in clinic, or will I go on the ward/to a treatment room? Do I have to stay in for a while to be monitored?
Anyone who can tell me their experiences it would be really helpful (although no major horror stories please, I’d just rather bury my head in the sand!)
Thank you x

Bns11

Re: Do I have to stay in hospital with methotrexate?

Post by Bns11 »

Hi!

I had methotrexate a week and half ago. I didn’t have to stay in hospital over night but I was there for a few hours.

Once they knew it was ectopic they wouldn’t let me leave until I’d had the injection. But before I could have it I had to have a blood test to check liver and kidney function and general blood count to make sure I was suitable to have methotrexate. Once they got the results back from the lab (about 2/3 hours) I was then given the injection and had to stay another hour to make sure I didn’t have any reactions to the injection. After the hour they did some obs (blood pressure, heart rate and temperature) and these were all fine so I was then ok to leave.

I have a needle phobia so wasn’t looking forward to another needle another all the blood tests but the injection itself I didn’t find painful, I barely knew it had gone in, the doctor tapped on me a few times to distract me from it going in (they inject into your buttock). It was just a bit achy for a while after just like when you have an injection in your arm.

Hope this helps! x

EPT Host 20

Re: Do I have to stay in hospital with methotrexate?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Daisy1986,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and losses,
We have more detailed information on methotrexate here-

https://www.ectopic.org.uk/patients/treatment/

For your information, following Methotrexate, you should wait until your hCG levels have fallen to below 5mIU/mL (your doctor will advise you when this is through blood tests) and then take a folic acid supplement for 12 weeks before you try to conceive. This is because the Methotrexate may have reduced the level of folate in your body which is needed to ensure a baby develops healthily. The Methotrexate is metabolised quickly but it can affect the quality of your cells, including those of your eggs and the quality of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. The medicine can also affect the way your liver works and so you need to give your body time to recover properly before a new pregnancy is considered. A shortage of folate could result in a greater chance of a baby having a neural tube defect such as hare lip, cleft palate, or even spina bifida or other NT defects. This is why the "wait" and then taking folic acid for 12 weeks before trying to conceive is so important.

Every hospital will have different policies but I had methotrexate injection on the ward (I had been admitted for observation over a bank holiday weekend), I was given the injection and sent home an hour later. The treatment worked well for me. The follow up blood tests can be lengthy and I am afraid it is difficult to predict how long it will take for your hormone levels reach non-pregnant levels. As we are all individual, our bodies respond differently to the drug and it depends on factors like how high levels reached and our unique physiology. What I can say is that it can take a number of weeks and, while it can take some time, it is not as invasive a procedure as surgery. Also, in terms of chances of future successful pregnancies, studies do not show a significant difference between treatment routes, whether surgical, medical using methotrexate or expectant management (allowing time for the body to resolve the pregnancy itself).

We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************