By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Questions to ask OB

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Anokha

Questions to ask OB

Post by Anokha »

Hi all,

I had an ectopic pregnancy last week that resulted in open abdominal surgery and removal of my fallopian tube (which had burst and caused internal bleeding.) I will have a follow-up with my OB in four weeks, and I'm starting to brainstorm questions to ask during my appointment. (While I love my OB, she is often rushed for time, and I want to be as organized as possible.)

Are there other questions that I should be asking my OB?

Thanks.

1) How long should we wait before trying to conceive again?

2) What is the likelihood of having a second ectopic pregnancy? (Studies suggest that it's a 10% rate of reoccurence. Is that regardless of whether the tube was removed or not?)

3) Was the surgeon able to assess the condition of the remaining fallopian tube?

4) Was the surgeon able to assess whether there was scar tissue inside/outside of the fallopian tube that burst (that may have potentially contributed to the ectopic pregnancy)?

5) Do you have recommendations for best ovulation tests?

EPT Host 22

Re: Questions to ask OB

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Anokha,

I'm so sorry to hear all that you have been through in suffering an ectopic pregnancy and loss. You've been through both physical and emotional trauma, and it's so very important to look after yourself right now. Your surgery is still so recent and it's normal to have many questions.

It's a great idea to have a list to ask your OB, and you might find that over the course of the month, that your questions change. One way to capture some is by keeping a journal of your thoughts and feelings. I found that in my own reflection, it helped me to figure out questions that I hadn't yet asked and as a way to record the ones I was having.

The Trust also provides information on what you can expect after an ectopic pregnancy, and you may find some answers to your questions within those pages as well. https://www.ectopic.org.uk/patients/trying-to-conceive/

These boards are also a safe space for you throughout your recovery. If you have questions or just a need to vent, we are here for you for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at http://www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
******************************************************************************************