By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Help with fear of rupture

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Rose1986

Help with fear of rupture

Post by Rose1986 »

Hi,
I have just joined the forum as I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy on Wednesday. The hospital told me my levels were 3,000 and the ectopic was very small. I would of been six weeks pregnant but they said it was more like a cluster of cells starting to form a baby, not how a six week foetus should be. Due to this they said my best option was the MTX injection which I was happy with. I had it at 4pm on Wednesday and have just been very tired since.
Since being home however, the thought that it’s still in there and could still rupture is starting to consume me. I am becoming terrified to even move and cried myself to sleep last night. I feel like it’s a ticking time bomb that could rupture at any time.
I already have one daughter and I just want to be well for her. I’m now wondering if I should of had the surgery so that there would of been no chance of rupture.
Can anyone help me get some perspective and help calm down my fear?
Thank you so much.
I do not know anyone personally who has experienced MTX so very new to this. So glad I found this site x

Curlylocks8

Re: Help with fear of rupture

Post by Curlylocks8 »

Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this.

I've been through this recently - had a shot of mtx on 31st May & my Hcg levels were 2146. By day 4 they had gone upto 3160. A rise on the day 4 bloods is apparently not uncommon so don't be surprised if you're increase initially.

Mine continued to rise the following day before dropping back to 3200 on wed. We agreed because of the drop that we would hold off surgery.

I know what you mean it playing on your mind, it was all I could think about. This turned out to be a good thing as unfortunately the risk is real and it meant I was switched onto everything happening within me and meant I realised when something was wrong - the tube ruptured on Saturday night. my symptoms were d&v and what felt like trapped wind that came and went and a weird pressure on my bladder when trying to go to the toilet (due to bleeding into stomach and around my bladder). I didn't have the "pain in shoulder" people usually talk of. I also found the pain also sporadic and came in waves.

I don't mean to frighten you, just to be realistic. There is a risk it could rupture, so dont ignore any symptoms or be fobbed off of you feel something isn't right.

I've had a few days to think about this, and I'm glad I gave the mtx a try before having the surgery. Yes my hand was forced in the end but at least I'm not wondering whether I could have saved the tube. And because I was looking out for signs all wasn't well I was able to get myself to hospital and have treatment before things got too bad.

I hope all goes well with you and that the mtx does the trick. Good luck.

Rose1986

Post by Rose1986 »

Thank you for taking the time to reply @curlylocks8 As hard as it is to hear that it is a real risk, it is important that I do know what to look out for. I never realised it could happen with symptoms like yours so thank you so much for sharing.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Rosie1986,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
I was also treated with methotrexate and I fully understand how difficult the waiting period is for hCG levels to reduce.
I am afraid it is difficult to predict how long it will take for your hormone levels reach non-pregnant levels. As we are all individual, our bodies respond differently to the drug and it depends on factors like how high levels reached and our unique physiology. What I can say is that it can take a number of weeks and, while it can take some time, it is not as invasive a procedure as surgery. It is also encouraging that your levels are falling steadily although I appreciate that it can be a drawn out process. Also, in terms of chances of future successful pregnancies, studies do not show a significant difference between treatment routes, whether surgical, medical using methotrexate or expectant management (allowing time for the body to resolve the pregnancy itself).
As a gentle reminder, please do not undertake any strenuous exercise or lifting or housework while your hCG levels are dropping. While I do not want to alarm you, as you have mentioned, there remains the risk of rupture even with low or declining hCG levels. You should not resume exercise until your hCG levels are falling consistently and are in the low 100s.
Please seek urgent medical advice with any worsening abdominal pain, shoulder tip, pain bladder or bowel problems or feel dizzy and unwell.

Sending much love and warm hugs,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Amalia2150

Post by Amalia2150 »

I don't have an answer, but just wanted to say that I'm sorry this is happening to you and you're not alone! I'm 3 weeks out from mtx and even though my hcg is falling nicely (178 at last draw), I'm in a lot of pain so the fear is there for me. I don't think I'll relax until I'm at 0.