By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

2 Ectopics one each side

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Kellie24

2 Ectopics one each side

Post by Kellie24 »

Hello I'm Kellie

I'm still trying to figure this out. I began ttc roughly two years ago. I fell pregnant quickly but at 6wks I noticed some bleeding and cramping. I went in the doctors office for an early scan which showed an ectopic pregnancy in my right tube. I was given methotrexate to dissolve the pregnancy which went well. 1 month after that I was brought in for an ultrasound to check on both my tubes. I was still grieving and the doctor told me she would contact me if anything seemed wrong with the scan, she said" no new is good news I know your still grieving so if you don't receive a call then the scan was good". So 3 months later husband and I try again and got pregnant on the first try. This pregnancy felt fine no cramping or bleeding, but I requested an early scan just to make sure. Unfortunately the ultrasound showed another ectopic but this time on my left tube. Even though I booked the scan I was not expecting bad news so this hit me hard. I was treated with methritexate again only this time the first dose did not work and I had to get a second dose a week later. My doctor told me she saw that my right tube was clubbed from the first ectopic pregnancy on the right side. I was angry because she knew this after my 1 month follow-up scan and failed to tell me! Anyways we waited 1 year and here we are. I got an HSG done which showed my right tube is still blocked but can still ovulate which means if I got pregnant on that side it was an automatic EP so the doctor and I decided it would be best to remove it. The surgery was successful but she found adhesions( scar tissue) on my left side which she was able to remove. I am just trying to process all of this. I am 24 and have 1 fallopian tube and the remaining tube is likely to get scarring again. My chances of getting pregnant and it being a healthy pregnancy seem slim. The doctor my family and husband just don't seem to understand what I'm going through. The doctor just says I'm young I have lots of time. My husbands only words are "we will keep trying". My mom and sister just say I'm obsessing over it and if I can't get pregnant then I'll have to get over it. None of them understand because they have all had kids and they don't know what it's like to not have the chance to carry a child. This is serious! This is my only shot at a normal pregnancy! I can't afford IVF! Is there anyone that has had a successful pregnancy after something like this? Can someone just talk to me?

EPT Host 20

Re: 2 Ectopics one each side

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Kellie24,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancies and losses. To experience one loss is difficult, to deal with multiple losses is heartbreaking and my heart truly goes out to you.
I truly understand the strong desire to conceive and although well-meaning, comments from family and friends who do not understand what we have been through, can be very upsetting.
Trying to conceive again can be a challenging time for couples especially after experiencing loss. I will do my best to help.
While generally it is possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy, the amount of time it takes varies from couple to couple. Factors include age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have sex, among other things.
I wish I could give more precise information, but as I do not have access to your and your partner's medical records, it is difficult for me to provide specific details. Generally, we and many healthcare professionals advise keeping a healthy balanced diet, maintaining a healthy weight and abstaining from alcohol and smoking.
Generally, when a person has only one fallopian tube and both ovaries, they are still able to get pregnant from an egg at the opposite ovary as an egg from one ovary can travel down the tube on the other side. The fallopian tubes are not attached to the ovaries and, at the point of ovulation, some very delicate structures called the fimbriae begin to move gently creating a slight vacuum to suck the egg toward the end of the tube it is nearest to (like lots of little fingers waving and drawing the egg towards it). So, if you have only one tube then there is only one set of receptors working and one set of fimbriae creating a vacuum and so the egg is much more likely to find its way to that tube, whichever ovary it is produced from. Conservative estimates suggest that an egg produced on the tubeless side manages to descend the remaining tube around 15 to 20% of the time.

It may be comforting to know that 65% of women are successfully pregnant within 18 months of experiencing an ectopic pregnancy and some studies suggest this rises to around 85% after two years.

I hope that this helps. I thought I would also mention we have a Preparing for your next pregnancy board. People use this message board to share their experiences and give each other mutual support on a range of topics (including trying to conceive again) and many women find this a huge comfort. Many women use our boards to ask questions and express themselves in a safe, supportive environment and do feel free to use the boards,
Making the decision to begin trying to conceive is an emotional rollercoaster compounded by our sad loss. Again, you are not alone. We here emotional support whenever you need us.

Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************

Kellie24

Re: 2 Ectopics one each side

Post by Kellie24 »

Thank you so much for the advice! This makes me feel much better!