By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Returning to work after Ectopic

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Lauralindsay1234

Returning to work after Ectopic

Post by Lauralindsay1234 »

Hi all,

I just wondered how long you took off work after having an ectopic pregnancy?

I was diagnosed on 22nd of June when I received my first methotroxate injection. This didn't work and I received another injection on the 29th June.

I have taken 3 weeks off work, first 7 were self certified and a 2 weeks note from my doctor so due to return to work next Tues.

I just really don't feel I am ready to return to work, I know I have another week off but the thought of returning to work at the minute is making me anxious.

I have just been going through the motions of going to the EPU ever few days (I am back on Thursday for my day 4 check up for 2nd injection) I don't think it's property sunk in yet :(

I just wondered how long everyone else took off work? I don't want my work to think I'm taking too long off.

Any help would be much appreciated. xxx

Kellie24

Re: Returning to work after Ectopic

Post by Kellie24 »

I’m sorry for your loss. I had an ectopic and it was treated with methotrexate as well. I even needed a second dose too because the first didn’t bring my numbers down as expected. I took off 6 weeks I believe. This is a very stressful and emotional time. You have to go through all the stages of grieve. Even when I did get back to work I had to take breaks just to have a couple tears. Take your time to process, don’t feel rushed to get better for everyone. I know I tried my best to get over it as soon as possible but that just doesn’t work. You need time to heal physically and emotionally. Sending good thoughts and prayers for you!

Pate1e

Post by Pate1e »

Hi Lauralindsay1234,

I’m in a similar situation to you in that I will have had 3 weeks off work before returning to work next week - Mon 9th July.

I had a laparoscopy and lost my left fallopian tube. After an earlier miscarriage it was my 2nd pregnancy. Physically I’m recovering well and not in much pain anymore but emotionally I still feel a bit vulnerable.

I’ve spoken to various friends about my feelings and think I have worked through and accepted what has happened. I’ve lost the tube and just need to concentrate on what I do have and stay positive. Saying that, I may feel differently when I’m finally thrust amongst colleagues again, 2 of which are already pregnant.

Like you, I feel anxious about the the amount of time I’m taking off work but more than that I’m dreading the questions/concerns from colleagues about my absence - I’m not ready to publicly announce what I’ve been through… The longer I’m away though the worse I feel it will be.

If you don’t feel ready, you can ask your GP for an extended sick note, at the EPU I was told it’s normal to have around 6 weeks off for recovery.

I’m really sorry you’re going through this and wish you well.

Daisy1986

Post by Daisy1986 »

Hi,
I had methotrexate, just one dose, and returned to work after 2 weeks. I actually wanted to return sooner because for me getting back into routine really helped, but i wasn’t allowed as I’d been signed off. I didn’t really have any side effects though and my levels were at 0 after less than 2 weeks. I think my toddler suffered more than I did, as the stress and lack of normal routine really affected her, hence us wanting to return to normal.
I didn’t feel too emotional to be honest as I had no idea I was pregnant and we weren’t trying as I’d only just had a miscarriage, which definitely hit me harder.
Hope you are able to get some sense of normality and feeling back to normal soon
Xxxx