By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Symptoms of low folate weeks after mtx?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Amalia2150

Symptoms of low folate weeks after mtx?

Post by Amalia2150 »

Here's a little background...
Diagnosed 5/31, given 50 mg methotrexate, hcg 556
Day 4 hcg 716
Day 7 hcg 563
Day 14 hcg 175
Day 21 hcg 180, given additional 80 mg methotrexate
Day 7 after 2nd shot, hcg 108
Day 14 (2 days ago) hcg 45

For the last week I've felt awful... dizzy, weak, exhausted, sometimes having trouble catching my breath. I thought maybe it was anemia since I've been bleeding for over a month, but my hemoglobin was normal the day I got my second mtx shot (they're checking it again during my hcg draw next week to see if it's changed, though). Could these symptoms be from the mtx knocking out my folic acid? Hormones (I think I'm ovulating along with my body still thinking it's pregnant)? Anyone have similar symptoms this far out from the shots? Hugs to all of you going through this, too!

EPT Host 20

Re: Symptoms of low folate weeks after mtx?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Amalia2150,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss,
While methotrexate is metabolised quickly by the body, it can affect the quality of your cells including those of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. One of the side effects to treatment is fatigue and many feel very tired and are shocked by the exhaustion they experience through treatment, I know I certainly did. The impacts of the drug are on top of an already immense ordeal - the diagnostic process of ectopic pregnancy, regular visits to hospital, loss of a pregnancy which all take their toll physically and emotionally and is very understandable and normal to feel exhausted.

Sadly I am not medically trained so cannot give you specific advice on your query of low folate levels however I have added a link to an NHS website regarding low folate levels and if you are concerned, please speak to your GP.
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamin-b ... /symptoms/

Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************