By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

6 days post operation

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Sampeel92

6 days post operation

Post by Sampeel92 »

Hey

I'm sorry if any of these questions have been asked before and for the length of this post.

I'm 6 days post op, this has quiet possibly been the worst two weeks of my life. We found out on the Sunday we were pregnant and by the Monday afternoon I was in a&e with severe pains I knew straight away something was wrong fast forward to Saturday and many tests later I'm having emergency surgery to remove my right tube.

I'm really starting to struggle emotionally and I've been getting increasingly down over the past two days. I don't know if its because of everything or my hormones.

How long will my HCG levels remain high?

Is it normal to have pain in the side where the tube was removed?
I keep getting sharp pains inside and in my lower back.

Have people found there GPs are helpful with counselling and support?

I was discharged from the hospital the day after my operation but I feel like I have no medical support system. My partner is amazing but doesn't understand why I'm crying all the time.

I feel so sad all the time, I'm sad because I've been in constant pain for 2 weeks, I'm sad because this pregnancy was taken from us so horribly, I was bleeding for a week and they thought we were miscarrying before they diagnosed the ectopic.

When do you start to feel mentally ready to move on.

I'm not normally a sad person and I'm struggling with how to deal with all this emotion

nd2626

Re: 6 days post operation

Post by nd2626 »

Hi I am in the same boat. Had my ectopic last Sunday and was rushed into suregery and had my left tube removed. Been getting aches and pains and my emotions are everywhere! Big hugs x

EPT Host 20

Re: 6 days post operation

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Sampeel92,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss.
When we experience ectopic pregnancy we are suddenly faced with a life threatening emergency and it's treatment, reduction in fertility, concerns about the future and the loss of our babies. Experiencing any one of these is an ordeal, putting them together is immense and your feelings are completely normal.

It is normal to experience some pain as you recover over the next few weeks. Pain and bruising are part of the healing process. The discomfort and bruising should reduce over the next few weeks and I would suggest taking the pain relief that has been prescribed for you as directed by your doctors. If you find that you have an increased body temperature of more than 37°C or offensive smelling discharge or the wound site starts oozing or feels hot to touch, please do get medical attention as soon as possible as these can be signs of infection.

There is no set time frame for hCG levels to reduce, but it is not normally a long process following surgery. Your periods can take a while to re-establish - they can re-start anything between two and ten weeks after surgery and most women find that their period arrives sometime around week six or seven after surgery. The first period may be more painful or less so than usual, heavier or lighter, last for longer or shorter than usual – there really is no set pattern. You should be able to manage the discomfort with over-the-counter pain relief and should not be soaking a pad in less than an hour. If this is not the case, you should seek medical attention

Generally, you should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

There is no time frame for how long it takes us to heal emotionally and it is completely normal to feel anxious about the future. We will never forget our pregnancy or babies but we can learn to accept what has happened and crucially understand that it wasn't our fault. I had counselling following my ectopic pregnancy, which helped. I was referred via my GP. It is still very early in your recovery, but if you feel you require counselling at this stage, please speak to your GP or the charity Mind may also be of assistance. They have local centres and support groups and can offer services on a means-tested basis or sometimes free. You can find your local centre following this link if that may be useful too: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/local-minds/
We will of course be here for you for as long as you need.
Be kind to yourself, allow time to grieve, to heal both physically and emotionally.
Sending much love,
Karen x

**********************************************************************************************
If we have been able to help you, are you able to help us with a small donation or by volunteering?
Further information is available at www.ectopic.org.uk
Email us at ept@ectopic.org.uk.
Our helpline is 020 7733 2653 (available Monday to Friday 10am - 4pm).
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team.
**********************************************************************************************