By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

HyCoSy - worth it to check remaining tube?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
berryt04

HyCoSy - worth it to check remaining tube?

Post by berryt04 »

I had an ectopic pregnancy in 2020 and lost my right tube. My coil had become dislodged which caused the pregnancy in the tube. I didn’t know I was pregnant until I was in A&E in pain.

I am now trying for a baby and I’m scared it might not happen for me. Granted, we’ve only been trying for a few months.

I went to a private clinic and the consultant recommended a HyCoSy treatment to check the remaining tube. My question is - is it worth doing that straight away? I am extremely nervous about the risks to my remaining tube. I have no reason to believe it is blocked, but I don’t want to waste my time trying if it is. Has anyone else had a tube removed for a similar reason and conceived. I know it can take a while anyway. I’m 33 and my egg count is average.

Any help gratefully received.

EPT Host 22

Re: HyCoSy - worth it to check remaining tube?

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Berryt04,

I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss. The experience can be surprising to many of us and leave us looking for answers and reassurances.

In the UK, it is not common to test following one ectopic pregnancy unless the doctors are concerned at the time. The reason why further testing is not routinely offered is that it has limitations. Unfortunately, tubal patency tests cannot provide complete peace of mind. Even if a tubal patency test shows an open Fallopian tube, it does not show whether it will work – only a normally located pregnancy can show that at least one Fallopian tube worked.

The test is not 100% accurate as the Fallopian tubes can go into spasm during the test and can appear blocked even though this is not the case. This can cause unnecessary anxiety if the Fallopian tube is affected by spasms, but is actually working normally. The test cannot determine what the internal villi of the Fallopian tube look like, which are the mechanism for moving the egg through the tube into the uterus.

Having said this, others have expressed that this test has brought some comfort to them. However, I'd encourage you to speak to your Drs about it and just know the limitations of certainty associated with the test.

Following my ectopics, I looked for ways to provide clarity about why they happened and how to prevent them from happening. The difficult part of recovery is that these reassurances don't really exist because there is nothing we did to cause, nor anything to prevent ectopic pregnancies from occurring. However, the odds are also on our side that in future pregnancies there is a 90% of correct placement.

I know this can be difficult and want you to know that we are here anytime you need and for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust

Registered Charity Number: 1071811
Ectopic pregnancy patient information suite: Highly Commended in the 2019 BMA Patient Information Awards

If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.

Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.

Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.

Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

june_bug

Post by june_bug »

For what it's worth ... I was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy last May and was treated (successfully) with MTX. Once the pregnancy was resolved, by doctor did recommend that I get an HSG - a procedure similar to a HyCoSy that checks the structure of your uterus and tubes. I'm in the U.S., though, and I think our healthcare system is a little more opportunistic in terms of encouraging people to get tests and procedures that may not be totally necessary :lol:

That being said - while the HSG was a pain to schedule, and the procedure itself was not much fun, but I'm glad I did it. It gave me some peace of mind. This was my first pregnancy, and I'm in my mid-30s. I didn't want to waste a lot of time TTC if it turned out there were structural issues that would make it difficult to have a healthy pregnancy.

berryt04

Post by berryt04 »

Thank you for your reply and kindness. I decided against it in the end and now TTC naturally. Wishing you all the best on your fertility journey!