By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Energy levels

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Stacey louise88

Energy levels

Post by Stacey louise88 »

After 11.5 week ectopic rupture removal, baring in mind I have a haemotoma and have had an infection so suppose that makes a difference, when did you start to feel like you had the energy to do normal every day things. When I did not know I was pregnant I would walk like 8 to 10 miles a day and I mean I know that's a lot and I have had surgery but I'm now struggling to do 1/2 @ mile twice daily with a break. I am sleeping so much more than I have ever slept (this started when I was pregnant tbf but hasn't changed) I'm not taking pain killers much if at all anymore but I'm really getting down that I can't do a lot as my son has adhd and needs a lot of exercise and I'm used to being part of that, my partner is starting work early so he can get home and do my role when my son finishes school. I just feel useless and fed up with things right now. I want to be back to me, it's been 5 weeks and I seem to have an hour of exercise energy in me a day at most. I'm getting fatter and look spottier than ever also, as well as swelling bruising and scars all over my stomach.

EPT Host 22

Re: Energy levels

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Stacey Louise,

I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss. Experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and you are in the early stages of recovery. Your body needs time to heal from your surgery which is in itself a grueling task. You have also had to process the loss of your baby and been through an immense rollercoaster of emotions - all of this will take time to come to terms with.

You should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you may be ok and the next you may be in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water, and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

Surgery is an immense ordeal for the body to go through. In general, after about six weeks you should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view. However, if your role involves manual handling, we suggest that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. I would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.

In addition, it is worth bearing in mind that experiencing ectopic pregnancy is a very frightening experience and many women need to take time to help them deal with the psychological/emotional impact of the loss of their baby, being diagnosed with a life-threatening condition, and undergoing major surgery.

Please know that these boards are filled with women and men who understand. We are here for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information

If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.

Further information is available on our website.

Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk

We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.

Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.

Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

AB11

Post by AB11 »

Hi,
I found your post today when I was wondering the exact same thing about energy levels. Thank you so much for sharing and I sorry you've also gone through this.
I am 3.5 weeks post emergency key hole surgery for ruptured tubal ectopic (and I also had an infection post op), so I know its only early days, but one of my biggest upsets is my lack of energy and wanting to know how long until I will feel my normal self again. I have made lots of progress since I first had my operation but it still feels easy to get frustrated. I keep thinking I want to be back in work to be busy again but my job is so physical there is no way I could manage it yet - I am also having to take naps in the afternoon after even short periods out of the house in the morning.
As you're a few weeks more beyond surgery than I am I wondered if you had an update on how you're doing now?
I am also hoping getting my period might help with energy levels in case some of this is hormonal, and wondered if anyone had any experiences of feeling better physically after their first period came?

Karina887

Post by Karina887 »

After my own surgery that I had a few months ago, it took me a while to regain my energy and feel like myself again. It's tough when you're used to being active and suddenly find yourself unable to keep up with your usual routine.
Adopting a more holistic approach to my recovery helped me. I followed the steps covered in this [url removed per Trust policy] on holistic living, some of which are:
I focused on mindful eating, making sure to nourish my body with healthy foods that would support healing. I also included regular movement into my day, focusing on activities that I enjoyed and that didn't put too much strain on my body, like walking and climbing stairs. This helped me gradually rebuild my strength without overexerting myself.
Reducing stress was also important for me. I made an effort to practice relaxation techniques like deep breathing and meditation to help calm my mind and promote healing. Stress can really take a toll on our bodies, so finding ways to manage it can make a big difference in how we feel physically and emotionally.