By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ectopic mass after methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
inhisgallery3

Ectopic mass after methotrexate

Post by inhisgallery3 »

Need some hopeful advice please :(

Received my mtx on 14 Feb and HCG reached <5 by 21 Mar. I just had a scan to ensure the mass is fully absorbed but it turned out that the mass is still there :( it only shrunk in size. Has anyone had the same situation? How long did it take for the ectopic mass to be fully absorbed by the body after mtx?

EPT Host 20

Re: Ectopic mass after methotrexate

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear inhisgallery,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss.
Unfortunately this is a difficult question to answer. It is not common practice to have scans following treatment for ectopic pregnancy in th UK, so there is very little evidence for now long it takes for a mass to be reabsorbed.
The general consensus is that the 12 week timeframe needed for taking folic acid after hCG levels have reached pre-pregnancy levels before trying to conceive is enough time for any masses to be absorbed.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Aisha94

Post by Aisha94 »

I had a scan approx. 2 months after hcg was zero due to continuous pain in the ectopic site. Turned out the mass was still there. However, the doctor didnt really have a definitive answer she said that sometimes it takes different bodies to recover on their own time. And that there’s nothing they could do about it. :(

Stef2023

Post by Stef2023 »

Hi! I am in a similar boat. I had ectopic in Jan and had a follow up scan in April where mass still visible. They did a blood test to confirm MX treatment had worked and it showed my HCG levels to be 0. So, I am now waiting for a scan they will do with dye to see more whats going on - their main concern is to check if I try to conceive again it won't get stuck in the same place if something still there....! I am in Belgium so I understand elsewhere scans are not conducted... I have to wait for my next period and then contact the hospital who will book me in, as this scan can only be done in the week after your period and before ovulation... my cycles have returned but are very long since the ectopic (37-39 days!) so its all really dragging on and to feel very much 'in it' despite having the pregnancy in January and it will be July before I hear anymore! I have heard from others sometimes if the mass has not been absorbed by the body or poses a threat to future pregnancies they operate to remove....all the best to you! I know its long but we will get there xxxx

Aisha94

Post by Aisha94 »

Interesting. My doctor said that they wouldnt operate on it as it would be a risky procedure. But your point about it getting stuck in the same place is exactly what i thought! but doctors dont give much thought to it, since they only rely on blood tests to confirm that the ectopic has resolved. Please do update on your case further.

Stef2023

Post by Stef2023 »

I will do! All the best xx

inhisgallery3

Post by inhisgallery3 »

Hi girls, thanks for sharing your stories. Really appreciate them. Although I have my next scan scheduled in two months, I’m apprehensive if it would be fully absorbed by then, but I will remain hopeful! I find it difficult to be around friends who are pregnant now so I try to spend time with friends who are still not eager for baby yet (while I pretend to be amongst one of them). Behind this front, I feel better to be surrounded by them. Whatever works for me I guess.. I will update again in 2 months!

Stef2023

Post by Stef2023 »

Hi everyone. Said I would update after the scan I’ve just had (with dye) they can see that my left tube is completely blocked still (6 months post ectopic) and I have to discuss with my gyno where to go now. I’m really disappointed. I guess as my right tube is fine I can be hopeful but I don’t feel very at the moment xxx

inhisgallery3

Post by inhisgallery3 »

Checking in after my 2nd ultrasound scan review after 2 months from my previous scan. Happy to say that the radiologist and dr concluded the mass is no longer seen! Really relieved about it, as it was quite unexpected tbh. So let’s all remain hopeful! The next milestone would be a HSG dye test which will likely be in the next 2 weeks.

Emmapx

Post by Emmapx »

Hi ladies, just came accross this thread and I’m so glad I have as I am in the same boat kinda… basically i had my ectopic nov 22, treated with 1x mtx injection and discharged with hcg level 5 at the end of December.. ever since then my periods have been wild, totally irregular and some cycles lasting 35+ days, I have a lot of pain around the ectopic site as well. The last scan I had before discharge they said the mass was gone but there was a ovary cyst, had a follow up scan a few months later but not internal and it came back as everything ok.. after reading these I think it may me with going for a private internal scan just to check the tubes etc.. can you ladies keep me updated on how you get on please? Sorry for the long message and hope you are all keeping well. Emma xx

inhisgallery3

Post by inhisgallery3 »

Hi Emma, it wasn’t easy getting through the months of resolution. I kept myself occupied with a few short trips (to make time pass faster), read hopeful books, watch series.
I would strongly recommend to go for HSG test if you are allowed for it!

Stef2023

Post by Stef2023 »

Hi! Me again! In July I had my appointment with the gyno to discuss the blocked tube. The blockage is at the tube entry so given its positioning she said there is nothing they can do surgery wise. However she said, given where the blockage is it is less likely for a tubal pregnancy to be in the same tube if we conceived again. So we took that, I guess as a positive. She told us we are OK to start to try again - I am on my second month TTC.... xxx