By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Decision making

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Emaeii

Decision making

Post by Emaeii »

Hi everyone, I've just found out over the last week that I'm likely having an ectopic. I would be 7 weeks today. Had heavy bleeding and cramps last week and a scan 1 week ago showed nothing at all, was told it was PUL. HCGs every 48hr have been 299, 407, 491, 483. I'm going back in this morning for another scan but been told methotrexate is the main option being offered to me.

I've been reading on here about expectant management too and I don't know what the best option for me is. I'm desperate to become pregnant and I'm nearly 34 so I don't want to have to wait ages to conceive again (the leaflet said 3 months but it sounds like 6 is better to allow time for folate levels to come back up? Any advice on this front?)

On the other hand the Dr last night told us she's seen women rupture at far lower levels than me. It felt like she was pushing me towards methotrexate. Any advice? I don't want to be risky and put myself at increased risk of rupture, plus it would be a relief (and I'm sure easier mentally) to draw a line under this sooner, on the other hand being able to try again sooner would be great for us. Any advice welcome and sorry we are all having to be here in the first place, what a rollercoaster x

Shell_624

Re: Decision making

Post by Shell_624 »

Morning, I'm sorry your going through this 💔

I'm currently on day 6 of methotrexate and my hcg is in the 6000.

My 2nd ectopic I did expectant management, hcg peaked around 150 but took 5 weeks to come down, it's so draining isn't it!

I'd maybe give it a few more days as your levels seem more stable or coming down slightly. From reading through forums this week I think with your numbers methotrexate would work and probably be back to below 5 within a couple of weeks.

Good luck with whatever you decide xx

Emaeii

Post by Emaeii »

Thanks for the reply and I'm so sorry you've had to go through this several times, it's so unfair.

I've just had a scan which confirmed a 17mm tubal ectopic but thankfully no signs of rupture. Just waiting for the drs to talk about options. I'm a bit sore post scan and feeling paranoid now I've seen it (and read that tube's max diameter is normally 12mm!) But still undecided, will be good to talk through options.

I hope your levels come down soon. The waiting is one of the hardest bits I think xx

User

Post by User »

Hi Shell,

Can I ask about your second ectopic? You said it peaked around 150hcg. Was anything seen on a scan with this low hcg, was it diagnosed as ectopic or was it PUL?
I have just had expectant management for PUL which has come not long after a ruptured ectopic. My levels peaked at the same level as you.
I will never know where this egg was and it’s so distressing not knowing if there’s hope for the future or not.
Kind regards and best wishes for all xx

Shell_624

Post by Shell_624 »

Yes it was a PUL but they suspected it was in my right ovary at first, then they said they thought it was in the 'nub' left behind from my right tube removal, didn't even know that was possible 🤯 and why they'd even leave a nub behind 🤷🏼‍♀️. Anyway we never actually got to the bottom of it. V frustrating isn't it!

Shell_624

Post by Shell_624 »

Emaeii wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:08 am
Thanks for the reply and I'm so sorry you've had to go through this several times, it's so unfair.

I've just had a scan which confirmed a 17mm tubal ectopic but thankfully no signs of rupture. Just waiting for the drs to talk about options. I'm a bit sore post scan and feeling paranoid now I've seen it (and read that tube's max diameter is normally 12mm!) But still undecided, will be good to talk through options.

I hope your levels come down soon. The waiting is one of the hardest bits I think xx
Hope its over for you soon. Definitely try the methotrexate, a few months is worth keeping your tube, I'm also 34 and ttc fir 7 years so I understand your frustration 😩 keep us updated x

Emaeii

Post by Emaeii »

Thankyou, I'm going to be given it today. How did you get on with it in terms of side effects? Bit nervous but think it's the right decision for me xx

Shell_624

Post by Shell_624 »

I had 80mg and mild cramping on day 3. Honestly I'm fine so far (day 7) just waiting for my day 7 check up been here 5 hours so far 🙄 on the nicest day of the year!

Think they are going to give me a 2nd dose as levels are still in the thousands.

Emaeii

Post by Emaeii »

Oh bless you that's a really long wait, I hope you got seen to without having to wait much longer! Our unit is the same, it gets really busy and you're left waiting for hours. I was thinking it's typical to be given a med where you're not meant to be exposed to the sun... in the middle of this beautiful weather!

Really sorry you might need a second dose. What did they say? I hope whatever happens next works well for you. Thanks for the info. I'm feeling ok so far, fingers crossed this continues x