By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Doctor let me down

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Madison01Mason

Doctor let me down

Post by Madison01Mason »

Hi everyone I just wanted to say hiii I stumbled across this page and group I feel like I need safe outlet.

Today marks two weeks that I had an emergency ectopic pregnancy and right fallopian tube removal. I had the merina coil in and I totally had no idea I was pregnant. Today has been a really emotional day and I can't stop the tears from strolling down my face.

I've been so angry at a doctor who I feel let me down she overlooked a simple pregnancy test nearly a month before my body couldn't cope any longer. I went to her with stomach pain, back bum pain and bleeding that I'd been having for over 6 weeks. I had diagnosed myself with everything IBS, diabetes, cancer you name it but it never crossed my mind to take a pregnancy test. Ya know I actually joked with the doctor that it was funny to start with that my partner wasn't getting any action but it's not funny anymore like it's serious. The doctor done an eternal exam, took swabs. I exactly said to her I feel like something is attacking my body and I just want to feel better again. She said could I be pregnant and I replied no I have the coil in and she took my word for it. I actually had no idea that this could happen and I felt safe on the coil. She checked her computer and seen that it had been in for nearly three years and reassured me that it won't just stop working. I said to her maybe the coil is digging into me and causing the bleeding. It's all so clear now but it wasn't. She booked me in for bloods wanted a stool sample and was going to send for an ultrasound scan to check my coil. In the mean time she give me tablets to stop the bleeding.
I went away feeling okay I've two children 8 girl 4 boy to keep up with the bleeding settled within a few days. My blood sample and swab test came back okay and I just dealt with it. I got on with my day to day for a month unknown that I was pregnant and things where about to get very much more serious.
I feel so let down by my doctor even tho if she had of found the pregnancy the outcome would have still been the same I couldn't kept it. I've so many questions for my doctor but I don't want me to have an effect her and her life as I feel she has had on me. I just feel really sad.

EPT Host 22

Re: Doctor let me down

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Madison,

I am so sorry to hear that you have suffered this ectopic pregnancy and loss. I want you to know that you are not alone. These boards are filled with women and men who are, unfortunately, united by this experience.

Your surgery is still very recent. It’s important for you to remember that there was nothing you did to cause nor nothing that could have prevented an ectopic pregnancy. Many women experience a mix of feelings and this can include grief, hurt at loss and anger. Trying not to blame yourself is important, as it is no fault of yours, and nothing sadly could have been done from stopping the ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage from happening.

Physical recovery is often quicker than emotional recovery. We operate a helpline service, and there's no pressure whatsoever but if you would ever like the opportunity to speak over the phone to someone who has been through a similar experience, do feel free to call, details are below. We can take things at your pace entirely, and you are free to ask any questions that are on your mind. You can talk about the ordeal you have been through and express your feelings to vent and let off some steam. We can exchange emails too if you prefer that route.

Also, you can ask to see a GP at your practice and ask them to explore ways in which you can get help, and this can include referrals for "talking therapies" or counselling. We have information on our website about finding counselling services. The charity Mind may also be of assistance. They have local centres and support groups and can offer services on a means-tested basis or sometimes free. You can find your local centre following this link if that may be useful too: http://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/local-minds/

If you feel your care hasn't been as you expected, you may be aware that you can raise any concerns via the Patient Advice and Liaison Service or PALS. You can find your local PALS here and it may be an avenue that can help:
https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/hospita ... n-service/

No matter what, we are here for you whenever you need us. Please know you are not alone and take all the time you need to look after yourself and recover. We are here for you whenever you want to talk.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information

If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.

Further information is available on our website.

Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk

We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.

Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.

Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

MicheL

Re: Doctor let me down

Post by MicheL »

Hi there,

I know it's been a little while since you posted on here, but I only just joined and your post reminded me of my own situation.
I wanted to share it with you so you don't feel alone, and to share what helped for me afterwards.

I didn't have a coil, but was on the pill when I got pregnant.
Kinda coincidental but I stopped using it just after I had already become pregnant.
I didn't know I was pregnant, but my partner went away for a few weeks and I thought it was a good idea do flush out the hormones while he was away.

Around the time he came back I started bleeding.
I thought it was my menstruation and because I had stopped the pill, it made sense it would be different than before.
It was after a few weeks of bleeding and other bad symptoms I started getting worried.
Went to the GP and told them the combination of bleeding and abdominal pain.
They thought the combination was weird and probably non-related to each other, asking me what I thought it was.
I said I thought it could be something like a tumor pushing from one side onto the other.
In hind sight a pretty accurate explanation to what was physically going on (not to diminish the fact that it was a pregnancy and not a tumor).

I explained everything, even the stopping of the pill, even the typical shameful symptoms like constipation etcetera, but she never thought of an ectopic pregnancy.
She did a pap smear just because I had told her I had a bad one before.

It took weeks to get the result and I'm pretty sure my oviduct had already ruptured as I had all the symptoms.
It was my own random intrusive thought that made me do a pregnancy test after being pregnant for 11 weeks, that had caused me to go to the GP again and to the hospital and operation room in one day.
Even that day, the GP and the hospital staff didn't think anything was wrong, until it turned out I already had internal bleeding and scaring and was 11 weeks pregnant.

After that I healed quite well physically, but the situation has caused me to have PTSD.
Feeling helpless and like you are not being heard is terrible.
I lost faith in doctors for a bit and my own body.
It has helped me to go to the doctor more often after, with every panic attack and with every small thing, to notice they do take me seriously.
Besides that I had EMDR therapy, which has caused my PTSD to fade away.
I have started seeing the situation different, the doctor really made a mistake, but it was quite an human mistake, and I can trust my body as I did listen to the symptoms and it kept me alive all that time.
It's a long road, longer than the physical part, to heal from, but really take your time.

I hope will feel better with babysteps and that you will trust again❤️