By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Exhausted after Salpingectomy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Mat_alog

Exhausted after Salpingectomy

Post by Mat_alog »

I got surgery 9 days ago to remove my right tube after a second ectopic pregnancy on the right. The operation went well and I recovered physically really well. I can move and have very little pain but I am completely exhausted. Everybody keeps telling me that it is normal (including GP) but I don't find it normal at all. I feel that the tiredness is bringing my mood down and not the other way around. Has everyone experienced the same thing after their surgery ?

EPT Host 22

Re: Exhausted after Salpingectomy

Post by EPT Host 22 »

Hi Mat_alog,

I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy and loss. Experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a huge ordeal and you are in the early stages of recovery. Your body needs time to heal from your surgery which is in itself a grueling task. You have also had to process the loss of your baby and been through an immense rollercoaster of emotions - all of this will take time to come to terms with.

You should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you may be ok and the next you may be in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water, and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.

Surgery is an immense ordeal for the body to go through. In general, after about six weeks you should be able to return to most jobs from a physical point of view. However, if your role involves manual handling, we suggest that it would be sensible to have a phased approach, gently building up to the usual extent of activity. I would suggest avoiding a rapid return to strenuous activities as it is important to build up strength after recovery.

In addition, it is worth bearing in mind that experiencing ectopic pregnancy is a very frightening experience, and many women need to take time to help them deal with the psychological/emotional impact of the loss of their baby, being diagnosed with a life-threatening condition, and undergoing major surgery.

Please know that these boards are filled with women and men who understand. We are here for as long as you need.

With good wishes,

Michele

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information

If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.

Further information is available on our website.

Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk

We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.

Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.

Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Mat_alog

Post by Mat_alog »

Thank you for you reply. I decided to take a bit more time off work even if I feel guilty about it but I so do not have the energy to resume things as they were before...

Lisalisa

Post by Lisalisa »

Hi Mat

I have had three pregnancy losses this year, where two have ended up with a salpingectomy. The second time I became extremely tired and exhausted afterwards, even though the physical recovery was good.

This time, I've also taken a phased approach to starting work again, since it feels like even doing small tasks is extremely taxing somehow. I have been going to bed really early most nights.

I believe it's something to do with the grief, and feelings of sadness, as well as potentially the dramatic change in hormones and the terrible dark and cold weather (I live in Denmark). I'm trying to supplement with vitamin D and work on bringing my emotional level up, instead of jumping straight back into lots of work tasks and expectations from work.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Regards,
Lisa

CamLe

Post by CamLe »

Hello Mat,

I had a salpingectomy 1.5 weeks ago and I too feel much better physically but incredibly tired. I've been finding that on days where I did something (e.g., some baking/cooking or social time with friends), I end up sleeping 11+ hours the following night. I'm set to start work again next week and I feel like physically I have no reasons not to since I can get around much better, but I'm very worried about not being able to keep up with demands and expectations from my work. So far I told my boss I'd likely be back part time next week, which I'm not sure yet how I will manage and what is reasonable.

I'm glad to hear you are taking time for yourself and that both you and Lisa are prioritizing your emotional health - I didn't do that enough with my first EP and my emotions were still haunting me 10 months later..

Take care, xoxo Cam

Mat_alog

Post by Mat_alog »

Hi Cam,
I am so sorry to hear that you had to go through this as well. Thank you for sharing your experience. I find those testimonies really helpful and reassuring.
I was back at work this week after 3 weeks off. I am finishing this week really tired but still happy to have been able to get back to some "normality". I am sure it will get better day after day. I have also decided to start therapy and take care of myself physically and emotionally... let's see where it will lead me !

CamLe

Post by CamLe »

Hi Mat,

Thanks for the response. I'm glad to hear your work week went well even though it was timing. I hope therapy will do you some good, it has definitely been helpful to me!

I decided to take a third week off before returning to work so that I hopefully have enough energy to deal with it well by then. I agree with you about the wonderful support this forum and people lime you bring. It is very comforting knowing we're not alone and being able to share experiences. Take care and stay in touch. Xo