By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Spotting when HCG near zero

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Jc798429

Spotting when HCG near zero

Post by Jc798429 »

At 6 weeks pregnant (Sept 8th) I started with heavy bleeding and cramping. Went to the ER and my HCG was 75, no findings on vaginal ultrasound, so it was assumed I was having a miscarriage. My bleeding lasted for 4-5 days. After a couple weeks of checking my HCG levels, they started to slowly rise.
Sept 28- I returned back to ER for more heavy bleeding and cramping and my ectopic was found on vaginal ultrasound. HCG was 171 at this point. Was given methotrexate and my bleeding continued for 3 more days.

Fast forward to this week - Oct 16 (hcg of 19) I started to have some mild cramping and pain on my left side where ectopic is. I also had some discomfort in vaginal/rectal area when I would sit down. Returned to ER and vaginal ultrasound showed my ectopic mass is still present (it appears to be breaking apart), but a hematoma has formed, which is likely what is causing my discomfort.
Oct 19 - HCG is 4
Today, Oct 20th - I started spotting
Has anyone had spotting start this late into methotrexate treatment (22 days / HCG less than 5 or could this be spotting due to the hematoma/dissolving ectopic mass?

Headspace2020

Re: Spotting when HCG near zero

Post by Headspace2020 »

Hi,

First, I’m really sorry you’re going through this.

For reassurance your experience is nearly identical to mine.

Cramping and spotting during week 6, PUL as nothing in uterus (hcg 151). Few days later, severe cramping and bleeding, ‘miscarriage’ - hcg very low (44).

HCG started to rise, multiple scans, finally saw ectopic in right tube and given MTX. Virtually no symptoms, hcg rose on day 4 and only reduced by 3% by day 7. I went home to consider surgery and 36 hours later (day 9) bloods dropped 30%.

Only started bleeding properly once HCG got really low, around 19 - period like bleed and I think that was around day 14.

When your HCG falls right down you’ll get the period like bleed - the number of days after MTX just depends on how quick your levels reduce so I wouldn’t be worried at all by the fact you are day 22.

Also I got the really strange pains up my rectum too, I couldn’t find anything officially about this but I did see a few posts on the forum about it! You’re certainly not alone.

I’ve had no pains after my first cycle - I had a few twinges around ovulation but after the first one, everything seems normal again.
I’m now 11 weeks post MTX.

It does sound like you’re very close to being discharged and at the end of this particular chapter, I hope the next one is much more positive & happy xx

Headspace2020

Post by Headspace2020 »

Sorry my hcg was 8 when I started the period like bleed - not 19 that was your number! X

Jc798429

Post by Jc798429 »

Thank you so much for the reassurance by describing your experience!
I’m also so sorry that you had to go through this as well. It’s so emotionally and physically exhausting.
Since my last post, the spotting has turned into more of a period kind of bleed. I had some cramping that felt like period cramps more central in my lower belly and not concentrated on my ectopic side, but they only lasted a couple hours.
Praying that this is the last symptom before everything is resolved.

Headspace2020

Post by Headspace2020 »

Yes the pains sound like what I also experienced! Big hugs hopefully you’ll be discharged soon and can start to draw a line under this [censored word] experience. X

Jc798429

Post by Jc798429 »

When did your first period return?

I’m 8 weeks post methotrexate injection now and just a little over 5 weeks since my HCG returned to 0.. I’m still waiting on that first period.
(I did have cramping and a few days of light/moderate bleeding just as my HCG returned to 0, but have been told not to classify that as my first period)