By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Emotional Rollercoaster

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
MD28

Emotional Rollercoaster

Post by MD28 »

I am 42 and definitely thought I was done having babies. I had my tubes tied 15 years ago after having my son, so of course I was shocked to have pregnancy symptoms and then a positive pregnancy test. My doctor wanted to do an ultrasound and HCG test immediately given the circumstances. My ultrasound was inconclusive, nothing could be seen. My HCG was at 458 but then two days later they have dropped to 101. I suspect an ectopic pregnancy as I have a dull ache in my right side, unfortunately its the weekend and I don't even know if my doctor has seen the results (I saw the new lab results on my online chart, so I didn't even get the news from my doctor). I have had an ectopic pregnancy before and given that I had my tubes tied, I am thinking this is what is going on. I have so many emotions and think I am still in shock that I got pregnant in the first place but am also extremely concerned about what is possibly happening and I'm not sure what to do.

Lys90

Re: Emotional Rollercoaster

Post by Lys90 »

I’m really sorry to hear that, it sounds so unexpected and scary. Even if it was not planned and even if you do not want the pregnancy remember it is ok if you feel sad or if you feel that it is a loss. You should not feel bad or guilty if you have conflicting feelings about this.

Given your hcg is going down and the half time is 24 hours, I think you should keep testing until 0, and unless it gets to that to do repeat ultrasounds and not hesitate to go into A&E if you experience any of the symptoms of a burst tube (shoulder tip pain, soreness in your abdomen, bad pain in your abdomen, fainting, etc). It doesn’t sound like it will get to that though. Remember even an ectopic can resolve itself when it’s early.

Wishing you the best, please keep us posted xx

MD28

Post by MD28 »

Thank you, for your kind words. My partner and I actually looked into IVF a few years ago but we just couldn't do it financially, so this feels so emotionally heavy, it is something we really wanted in the past but we had come to a place where we were at peace that it wasn't going to happen and now this. It is hard to explain the feeling and it is also difficult to just wait for the inevitable. I also have to figure out what happened. What in the world happened to my fallopian tubes? It's all a whirlwind.

Lys90

Post by Lys90 »

That’s heartbreaking, I’m sorry for your loss.

In some cases the tubes can actually grow back… The body tries to repair itself you know? There are similar cases with vasectomy.

https://www.healthline.com/health/pregn ... tion#risks