By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Ectopic treatment timeline and symptoms

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
simm

Ectopic treatment timeline and symptoms

Post by simm »

I would like to share my experience of ectopic pregnancy. I can't thank enough for having found this forum. I come here for answer for any new symptoms or questions

My menstrual cycle began on the Oct 7th, seemingly normal until it extended beyond a week that I started becoming concerned. Upon consulting my GP and mentioning my attempts to conceive, she prescribed medication to manage the heavy bleeding and she further referred me for radiology on a long waiting list. She didn't even seem to be considering pregnancy at this point. I however took pregnancy test due to my own suspicion and as expected it turned out to be positive. I was feeling so anxious in the weekend with the bleeding and positive tests but had to wait until Monday the Oct 16th to reach my GP. When I called them on Monday morning it was my regular GP who asked me to contact the Emergency Gynaec Unit immediately for an urgent scanning on 18th Oct.
Initial scan showed no conclusive findings but a subsequent blood test revealed hCG positive and the following 48 hours blood test showed hCG doubling. They then called me back for another blood test and a rescan on the 25th Oct found a mass measuring max 2.3 cm! They said that my uterus was empty and this was just located on the left sided, I am not clear if it is tubual. The following day, I underwent methotrexate injection.

My timeline of hCG was -

25th Oct - 4565 hCG. 1st Scan. Mass found 2.3 cm. Rescan same day for confirmation.

26th Oct - 1st dose of 80mg methotrexate

30th Oct - 9500 hCG

2nd Nov - 8743 hCG, 4th day blood test. hCG drop was not sufficient.

3rd Nov - 2nd dose of 80mg methotrexate was administered.
Rescan showed no changes to mass, 2.3 cm roughly.

2nd Nov - 4th Nov was the heaviest bleeding including the passing of some big clots decidual cast or tissue..

7th Nov - 4988 hCG. Bleeding stopped that had started on the 7th Oct
10th Nov - 3100
17th Nov - 997
24th Nov - 483
1st Dec - 29. Bleeding restarted

28th Oct - 3rd Dec. Throughout this period, I also experienced stomach pain/cramps sometimes intense bloating pain, gassy burpy etc. little pinching pain on my ectopic side. I suspected it was pre rupture symptoms but not sure. I felt tender, took some codeine to suppress the pain.

1st Dec - 3rd Dec Added to these intermittent nagging pain and discomfort in my tummy there was bleeding similar to period or could be methotrexate resolving the ectopic..

8th Dec - 5 hCG dropped to non pregnancy levels. I no longer need to go for blood tests.

The doctors and the nurses were very supportive, just the protocol they follow is a bit of challenge as they don't admit in the hospital for observation just before/after giving methotrexate as I would rather be 100% sure of an ectopic or related complications but this forum has been so helpful, I have been on this forum for the moral support throughout.

I am going to start taking multivitamins to get my strength back. I can now stop worrying about the rupture but new worry will start just about when I think about conceiving in the next fews months and I am already 40.

EPT Host 20

Re: Ectopic treatment timeline and symptoms

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear simm,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss. You have been through such a lot in a short space of time, it is important to look after yourself and allow time to grieve and heal both physically and emotionally.
As you have had methotrexate, I will just mention that we and many healthcare professionals advise to wait until your hCG levels have reached pre-pregnancy levels (your doctor will tell you when this is) then take folic acid supplements for 12 weeks. This is because the Methotrexate may have reduced the level of folate in your body which is needed to ensure a baby develops healthily. The Methotrexate is metabolised quickly but it can affect the quality of your cells, including those of your eggs and the quality of your blood for up to three months after it has been given. The medicine can also affect the way your liver works and so you need to give your body time to recover properly before a new pregnancy is considered. A shortage of folate could result in a greater chance of a baby having a neural tube defect such as hare lip, cleft palate, or even spina bifida or other NT defects. This is why the "wait" and then taking folic acid for 12 weeks before trying to conceive is so important.
This also gives chance for your body to recover from the ordeal of an ectopic pregnancy, it gives your periods to return to a more normal cycle. This can be key when dating possible future scan dates.I

Do also remember to book an early pregnancy scan at around 6 weeks with any subsequent pregnancies. As soon as you know you are pregnant, contact your local EPU to inform them and book in for an early scan. Remind them of your previous ectopic pregnancy. This self refer route is the best route in our view. Hopefully you will have some comfort to know you are under the radar of medical professionals right away. I

Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

simm

Post by simm »

simm wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:05 pm
I would like to share my experience of ectopic pregnancy. I can't thank enough for having found this forum. I come here for answer for any new symptoms or questions

My menstrual cycle began on the Oct 7th, seemingly normal until it extended beyond a week that I started becoming concerned. Upon consulting my GP and mentioning my attempts to conceive, she prescribed medication to manage the heavy bleeding and she further referred me for radiology on a long waiting list. She didn't even seem to be considering pregnancy at this point. I however took pregnancy test due to my own suspicion and as expected it turned out to be positive. I was feeling so anxious in the weekend with the bleeding and positive tests but had to wait until Monday the Oct 16th to reach my GP. When I called them on Monday morning it was my regular GP who asked me to contact the Emergency Gynaec Unit immediately for an urgent scanning on 18th Oct.
Initial scan showed no conclusive findings but a subsequent blood test revealed hCG positive and the following 48 hours blood test showed hCG doubling. They then called me back for another blood test and a rescan on the 25th Oct found a mass measuring max 2.3 cm! They said that my uterus was empty and this was just located on the left sided, I am not clear if it is tubual. The following day, I underwent methotrexate injection.

My timeline of hCG was -

25th Oct - 4565 hCG. 1st Scan. Mass found 2.3 cm. Rescan same day for confirmation.

30th Oct - 9500 hCG, 4th day blood test result

2nd Nov - 8743 hCG, 7th day blood test. hCG drop was not sufficient.

2nd Nov - 4th Nov was the heaviest bleeding including the passing of some big clots decidual cast or tissue..

10th Nov - 3100
17th Nov - 997
24th Nov - 483

28th Oct - 3rd Dec. Throughout this period, I also experienced stomach pain/cramps sometimes intense bloating pain, gassy burpy etc. little pinching pain on my ectopic side. I suspected it was pre rupture symptoms but not sure. I felt tender, took some codeine to suppress the pain.

1st Dec - 3rd Dec Added to these intermittent nagging pain and discomfort in my tummy there was bleeding similar to period or could be methotrexate resolving the ectopic..

8th Dec - 5 hCG dropped to non pregnancy levels. I no longer need to go for blood tests.

The doctors and the nurses were very supportive, just the protocol they follow is a bit of challenge as they don't admit in the hospital for observation just before/after giving methotrexate as I would rather be 100% sure of an ectopic or related complications but this forum has been so helpful, I have been on this forum for the moral support throughout.

I am going to start taking multivitamins to get my strength back. I can now stop worrying about the rupture but new worry will start just about when I think about conceiving in the next fews months and I am already 40.

ChaoticBlues

Post by ChaoticBlues »

I can totally identify with your post, I'm sorry you've recently gone through this.

Last December I too was diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. I had just one shot of methotrexate but it took 10 weeks to get to an hcg of 0, it was 12 weeks of bleeding, contractions, physically and emotionally really awful time.

My first period was 2 weeks post HCG at 0. It felt so good to have my body return to normal after it not being my own for so long.

I was 40, now I'm 41, it was my first pregnancy. Then July I had a chemical pregnancy. So it is a worry about if I ever will successfully have a healthy pregnancy.

Emotionally it does take time. Also find your own form of helping you through this. I wrote a poem which really helped me. I read it and it captures exactly what happened.

Hang on in there.

simm wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:05 pm

My timeline of hCG was -

30th Oct - 9500 hCG

2nd Nov - 8743 hCG, 4th day blood test. hCG drop was not sufficient.

10th Nov - 3100
17th Nov - 997
24th Nov - 483

simm

Post by simm »

EPT Host 20,
Thank you so much for your thoughtful and detailed message. Your advice and insights about the methotrexate and the precautions before trying to conceive are incredibly valuable. I will be sure to follow these guidelines and prioritise my body's recovery before considering another pregnancy.

ChaoticBlues,
You have been through an incredibly challenging times. I admire your strength in sharing your story that I have come across in this forum which has been huge support to me. I can't imagine how touch it must be have to been for you. I have been trying to get back to normal but the fear of another failed pregnancy seems to be a shadow. I have been trying to read and watch positive videos, mantras etc. If you ever feel like sharing your poem, I'd be honoured to read it. Sending you lots of support and positivity as you navigate this journey.

ChaoticBlues

Post by ChaoticBlues »

Hey,

Thank you for sharing your story, there will be so many who read it and it will help them as forums were my only saving grace.

Methotrexate I had on the 23rd Dec 22, a year ago tomorrow, the doctors, the nurses were so wishy washy with their answers, they had no clue of the personal experience of what happens, not really. So knowing when will the bleeding stop or when will I get my first period that I learnt for forums, like this one.

I would say now that you have no hcg in your body just try to focus on being healthy, having folic acid, multivitamins, getting your period back, that will make a big difference. I know its hard but don't put any pressure on yourself try not to worry about getting pregnant.

My poem I posted on here before, I wrote it when I was like 8 weeks after the methotrexate injection then I kept updating the weeks in the poem. I found writing this really helped me, I had experienced loss before, capturing, immortalising it, making the baby real by living on in my words.

Never Apart

Overjoyed, happy, I was at my peak,
Watching as time passed week by week,
The wonderful moments i carried you,
But not in my womb that's not where you grew,
Hours and hours of my left side in pain,
There was only loss and no more gain,
For 12 long weeks my body miscarried,
A painful and strenuous experience indeed,
And even though I've felt so low,
I know you are a part of my rainbow,
Leaving my body but not my heart,
That's why you and I will never be apart,
I now share my story not for sympathy,
But for ectopic pregnancy awareness and for empathy,
Honouring the women who have lived through this,
Who will never be able to give their baby, a hug or a kiss.