By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

IVF on NHS

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Elocin

IVF on NHS

Post by Elocin »

Hi

Just hoping for some advice, I have had 2 ectopics this year…both tubes removed. I have an appointment on 3rd jan to discuss post op and ivf. What I’m really wondering is if we can have ivf on the nhs. We have a 2 year old from before all this ectopic horror and pain. We want a second child but financially it won’t happen privately for another few years as we will have to save up; which I’m completely happy to do. Everything I have read online says you can’t qualify for nhs ivf if you already have a child. I am just wondering if anyone has had a different experience? I know secondary infertility can be a very traumatic problem for couples but ours isn’t unknown it’s a simple case of I can’t naturally conceive now no investigation needed or hope that it happens while we wait for investigations.

What I’m trying to do is prepare myself for the nope you won’t get nhs funding before I go to the appointment. I know I will be upset having to wait a few years
Thanks

AngeA23

Re: IVF on NHS

Post by AngeA23 »

Hi Elocin,

I am so sorry for what you’re going through. I have also had 2 ectopics this year (one I’m still currently being managed with). It’s been an awful year and one I am happy to write off.

All the information you need on IVF is on the government website with all the areas and number of cycles someone is offered along with the criteria.

I am in a similar situation to yourself but had my 6 year old via IVF, so I know I am not entitled to any more funding and would also need to save, but sadly I am soon to be 40, so the chance of it working for me are low. Good luck with your follow up.

ChaoticBlues

Post by ChaoticBlues »

There are some private ivf schemes that charge you a lot less than standard ivf.
Elocin wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:48 am
Hi

Just hoping for some advice, I have had 2 ectopics this year…both tubes removed. I have an appointment on 3rd jan to discuss post op and ivf. What I’m really wondering is if we can have ivf on the nhs. We have a 2 year old from before all this ectopic horror and pain. We want a second child but financially it won’t happen privately for another few years as we will have to save up; which I’m completely happy to do. Everything I have read online says you can’t qualify for nhs ivf if you already have a child. I am just wondering if anyone has had a different experience? I know secondary infertility can be a very traumatic problem for couples but ours isn’t unknown it’s a simple case of I can’t naturally conceive now no investigation needed or hope that it happens while we wait for investigations.

What I’m trying to do is prepare myself for the nope you won’t get nhs funding before I go to the appointment. I know I will be upset having to wait a few years
Thanks

Elocin

Post by Elocin »

Thanks guys
Yeah I’ve looked at the nhs criteria for all areas and previously having a child means we won’t be offered it on the nhs. Which is disappointing but I kind of expect that to be said in the feedback appointment. I have a friend currently doing IVF privately so I’ve asked for some details from her. It’s just sad having to wait, it’s that sad old thing of friends having their second baby and me smiling and being the “lucky” one with just a toddler an no newborn as well 🤦‍♀️
I suppose it’s just something to work through and hope for. End of 2025 will probably end up as our time to try ivf. 😢 but then I will be 38 and it’s just that age worry isn’t it- it’s never easy it seems x