By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Risk Factors - Is it worth getting an STI test?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Emerald1920

Risk Factors - Is it worth getting an STI test?

Post by Emerald1920 »

I am currently recovering from tube removal surgery following an ectopic pregnancy at 7 weeks. I am in a happy long-term relationship (10 years) with one child already.

However, I can’t get my head around why this happened to me. I have read that a risk factor is PID which can be caused by STIs. I have never had an STI to my knowledge but now I am wondering if I should have some tests? Could my partner of cheated on me?

The surgeon commented that everything looked ‘healthy’ during surgery.

Would an STI test of been carried out routinely at EPU? Would it have been visible during surgery?

Thanks, I realise this may not be the most rationale of suggestions but I just want to understand why this happened.

EPT Host 20

Re: Risk Factors - Is it worth getting an STI test?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Emerald,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss,
Whilst there are risk factors such as PID, increasing maternal age and smoking to name a few, one third of people who experience ectopic pregnancy will have absolutely no risk factors.
They don't routinely screen for infections in EPU. Infections such as chlamydia can also be dormant in the body for years without showing any symptoms, so it doesn't automatically mean anyone has cheated either.
If you want a test to put your mind at rest, you can always complete this at your GP surgery or local sexual health clinic.

I know that when I had my ectopic pregnancy I also looked for a reason and almost automatically we tend to blame ourselves. From the bottom of my heart, there is nothing you could have done to prevent the ectopic pregnancy from happening. I cannot emphasise enough - you are not to blame. Please be kind to yourself and I send you gentle hugs.

Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

ChaoticBlues

Post by ChaoticBlues »

Emerald1920 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:06 pm
I am currently recovering from tube removal surgery following an ectopic pregnancy at 7 weeks. I am in a happy long-term relationship (10 years) with one child already.

However, I can’t get my head around why this happened to me. I have read that a risk factor is PID which can be caused by STIs. I have never had an STI to my knowledge but now I am wondering if I should have some tests? Could my partner of cheated on me?

The surgeon commented that everything looked ‘healthy’ during surgery.

Would an STI test of been carried out routinely at EPU? Would it have been visible during surgery?

Thanks, I realise this may not be the most rationale of suggestions but I just want to understand why this happened.

ChaoticBlues

Post by ChaoticBlues »

I posted a response and my message disappeared. It was just to say the idea of stds causing ectopic pregnancies is it causes abnormalities to your tubes causing the embryo to get stuck. The doctors said your tubes looked fine. Sometimes there is no cause or reason an ectopic happens early pregnancy is very unknown and docs just guess. Sometimes unfortunately it is just down to bad luck. I know that's hard to hear. But if you are worried you should have a std test.

ashleylondon

Post by ashleylondon »

Hi,
I've had sti tests in the past as a precaution and sti test with my current partner (been together 8 years ) as a doctor confused it for a water infection in my partner.

I've never had a sti and still had an ectopic pregnancy. I've only ever smoked a few times when I was a teenager and ive never done drugs.

I honestly think it's just a case of bad luck. Don't think it's always to do with previous sti's so try not to stress xx

sandraredd

Post by sandraredd »

I'm truly sorry to hear about your recent experience, and I appreciate you reaching out with your concerns and questions. It's completely understandable that you want to understand the circumstances surrounding your ectopic pregnancy.

Firstly, I want to express my sympathy for what you're going through, and I hope you're finding the support you need during this challenging time.

Regarding your questions:

STI Testing during Ectopic Pregnancy:

Typically, routine STI testing may not be carried out during an ectopic pregnancy procedure unless there are specific symptoms or risk factors identified by your healthcare provider. If you have concerns about STIs, it's advisable to discuss them directly with your healthcare provider, who can provide guidance on whether testing is warranted based on your medical history.
Visibility of STIs during Surgery:

During surgery, the primary focus is often on addressing the ectopic pregnancy and related issues. While surgeons aim to address any visible abnormalities, not all STIs may be immediately evident during this procedure. If you have concerns about [url removed per Trust policy], discussing this with your healthcare provider outside the context of the surgery may be more appropriate.
Exploring Possible Causes:

It's natural to seek answers and understand why an ectopic pregnancy occurred. However, it's important to note that ectopic pregnancies can happen for various reasons, and in many cases, the exact cause may not be definitively identified. Factors such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) or STIs are just a few potential contributors, and the absence of these does not necessarily mean there was foul play or any wrongdoing.
Open Communication with Your Partner:

If you have concerns about the possibility of an STI and its relation to your ectopic pregnancy, open communication with your partner is essential. Honest and supportive conversations can help both of you understand each other's perspectives and work through any questions or uncertainties together.
I strongly recommend scheduling a follow-up appointment with your healthcare provider to discuss these concerns, explore potential causes, and address any questions you may have. They can provide personalized guidance based on your medical history and circumstances.

Wishing you strength and support during your recovery.

Emerald1920

Post by Emerald1920 »

I had an STI test and thankfully it was all clear. I guess just ‘one of those things’ that has happened to me unfortunately. Thanks for all of your replies, I am coping a lot better now I am a few months on and feeling optimistic.