By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Confused on HCG levels and growth

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
LTQKVS

Confused on HCG levels and growth

Post by LTQKVS »

Hello, new here.

It’s nearly been a week post op for my ectopic pregnancy.

I had some questions that I had hoped the ward may have answered but they couldn’t give them I’m hoping I might be able to get some clarity here.

Two weeks ago it was assumed I was having a miscarriage, my HCG level was at 223 and then two weeks after I had the most terrible pain with HCG levels 40 luckily they took my pain seriously and I was taken to theatre to have my left tube and mass/foetus removed.

The thing I am struggling to understand is if my levels were so low does it mean the foetus was not alive or growing? But then why did I rupture so I assume it was still growing.

We have the chance to pick up the remains but in our minds we said goodbye two weeks ago when I was 5 weeks and thought it was a miscarriage telling myself it was cells and nothing that resembled anything baby like but at 7 weeks when they realised it was ectopic I have no idea if the remains will be baby like given the low HCG levels. The nurse has agreed to look at the remains and report back on what they look like for us to then decide how to proceed.

Am I to assume it was growing normally?

EPT Host 20

Re: Confused on HCG levels and growth

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear LTQKVS,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss,
This is a slightly difficult question to answer as we do not have access to your medical and scan results. I would assume that the foetus stopped growing and so your blood hCG levels started to decline. This would not mean that the foetus would shirk in size as quickly and it is likely that it remains the size of was when it stopped growing as masses can take some months to be reabsorbed and reduce in size. It may have caused slight damage to your tube which then decided to rupture at the last minute.
We often wrongly assume that we cannot rupture with low or declining hCG levels, but as you have experienced, this is not the case. I'm sorry you have had to go through this often frightening experience, please take things easy. He kind to yourself and take time to heal both physically and emotionally.
We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

LTQKVS

Re: Confused on HCG levels and growth

Post by LTQKVS »

Thank you this was really helpful x