By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Fed up of the long recovery

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
LTQKVS

Fed up of the long recovery

Post by LTQKVS »

It will be two weeks in two days that I had surgery.
I got the idea from the surgeon that two weeks I would be feeling so much better and nearly healed. I started 3 days ago with the area where the incisions are sore and a little painful, dizziness and shaking. I went to the doctors and was prescribed two different antibiotics incase it’s an infection that’s giving me loose stools and feeling sick which looking it up are typical side effects that I am trying to manage.
I thought the dizziness stopped 3 days ago but it’s back again today. Just when I think I’m getting a little better something else seems to happen or be a problem - is this normal?! So fed up right now sitting in or laid in bed I had really hoped for more improvement by now. Is my recovery typical/normal!?
When will this [heck] ever end?!?

EPT Host 20

Re: Fed up of the long recovery

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear LTQKVS,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss and the worrying time you are going through.
I completely understand the frustration and just wanting to get/feel better but think your surgeon saying 2 weeks recovery, is probably a little optimistic. Some people may recover quickly but we feel it takes longer than 2 weeks on average. As you have unfortunately developed an infection, It will take longer.
We advise that you should take it very easily for about six weeks after surgery. Your body will be using its energies to heal internally. It is normal to feel physically and emotionally exhausted during this time and please do be kind to yourself. Recovery can take time and some days will be better than others, one day you maybe ok and the next you maybe in discomfort or more emotional. This is perfectly usual and the healing process will go back and forth in this way for however long you need. It is important to listen to your body's signals and pain and feeling tired are your body's signs to tell you to rest. We suggest keeping a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water and resting. Once your wounds have healed, very gentle exercise such as a short walk can help, but please do take this slowly.
As you are feeling unwell again, I would also advise seeking medical advice. If it is out of hours and you are unable to speak to your GP or medical team and you are in the UK, you can do this by calling NHS 111.

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

ashleylondon

Post by ashleylondon »

Hi hun ,

I'm sorry to hear about your ectopic pregnancy. My first ectopic pregnancy was treated with methotrexate so I have no comparison with surgery pain.

However , I will say even with my methotrexate treatment it took Me 10 weeks to resolve the pregnancy. In this time , I was very ill. I felt ill when I needed to go the toilet and with gas which kept me up most nights feeling like I couldn't breathe properly because of it. I couldn't go out as I needed to be by the toilet at all times, even walking the dog. It took me about a month to fully recover.

I'm sorry you are going through this but I promise it does get better and you will be feeling yourself again in a few weeks. Wishing you the best xx

LTQKVS

Post by LTQKVS »

Thanks both for the replies waiting for a call back from 111 it’s been 5 hours now been told I should hear something within 6 hours.

Fingers crossed I will find out what the dizziness is all about.

Ashley - how long has it been for you? How is life for you after all this?
Xx

ashleylondon

Post by ashleylondon »

Hi ,

I hope you get the help you need today from the doctor.

It's been 5 months and life has been good. I'll never get over the loss and it is always on my mind. I am struggling as my friend is pregnant as she is due the same time as mine would have been. You bounce back quickly after going through it all and start to feel better. It feels like forever in the moment.

I am pregnant with my 2nd but sadly do feel it is another ectopic. Same tube so I wish I'd had mine removed to be honest.

Did you have yours removed or just the pregnancy ? If you don't mind me asking?

LTQKVS

Post by LTQKVS »

How far along were you do you think, if you don’t mind me asking?

That must be so difficult with your friend I’m actually living in fear of a pregnancy announcement at the moment from a close friend. But I am glad to hear that things do start to feel better.

Congratulations! Why do you think it’s ectopic? After an ectopic I imagine it’s difficult to believe that the next pregnancy will turn out ok - I really hope all goes well for you.

I don’t mind- I had a tube removed and foetus/mass. I thought I was miscarrying at 5 weeks and then at what would have been 7 weeks I ruptured - it was strange though because my HCG levels were so low at 40!

ashleylondon

Post by ashleylondon »

I was 7 weeks when I got treated.

It is hard but got to be happy for them as well.

Thank you. I've been had pain since finding out in my groin and hip bone one side and a weird burning sensation. No bleeding this time though. I don't know what's normal anymore since I've never had a normal pregnancy haha. My tests weren't progressing but I've done another today 4 days later and it has so I'm unsure what's going on.

I'm so sorry to hear that. That's mad to think it could rupture at 70. I'd got to 4500 at treatment. It's mad to think we are all so different. Mine was similar though as I was told I'd miscarriaged at 5 weeks. I had booked a private scan at 6 to be diagnosed with a pul the only reason I found mine earlier otherwise mine would have been a rupture too.

LTQKVS

Post by LTQKVS »

You have done so well to bounce back and get back to TTC. I haven’t decided whether we will continue or not after the whole ordeal.

Yeh I assumed with my low levels that it stopped developing pretty early and get some sort of comfort from that - I will find out more tomorrow when pathology let me know their findings tomorrow.

I have had one successful pregnancy prior and my hips and groin would be in alot of pain in early pregnancy so much so I remembering standing up on a train to sway from side to side! The hormones help loosen up the areas so I feel positive for you xxx

ashleylondon

Post by ashleylondon »

Thank you. I felt like that at the time of my treatment. The thought of trying again and it happening again was very scary as recovery was very painful. I can only imagine how you must feel recovering from surgery. It made me feel better that the risk of it happening again is 15 percent compared to 85 percent so hoping that's on our side.

That is good then that you get some comport knowing why it may have happened.

Oh that is good then. I hope so. Did you hear anything from a doctor in the end?

LTQKVS

Post by LTQKVS »

Yes I think it is important for us to have those percentages in mind.

Yes I remember lots of aches and growing pains that I didn’t expect and everything was fine apparently normal, how many weeks do you think you are?

A doctor from 111 was supposed to call - I followed this up twice and their just so busy apparently - it’s scary and disappointing but hoping I can get in the doctors tomorrow x

ashleylondon

Post by ashleylondon »

That's good to hear. I associate every pain as bad now.

4 weeks 3 days very early. That's why I was surprised hospital offered to scan me tomorrow as I don't think they will see anything. I have had issues with siatica since the ectopic on the one side so hoping it is just that.

Oh yeah 111 is a nightmare. I normally have to put phone on loud and go to sleep. They normally end up calling at 3am haha. Hopefully you get it all sorted and you start to feel better soon.

LTQKVS

Post by LTQKVS »

That makes complete sense. I think I have ovulated for the first time today and the pains feel similar to the rupture in some ways but I think because I am still healing too everything is sore and achy.

That’s great you have a scan tomorrow and can hopefully put your mind at ease.

Yeh wish I hadn’t bothered with 111 - when I had my rupture they said a doctor would call me back rather than directing me to a&e it’s pretty shocking.

All the best for tomorrow x

ashleylondon

Post by ashleylondon »

Are you feeling any better today? I can imagine the first ovulation was painful as mine was too.

That's bad you literally have to fight for everything nowadays. Did u manage to get it all sorted?

Scan went very well. Only 4 weeks but baby has made it to the right spot. Pain is due to a pregnancy cyst on my tube where previous ectopic was. Got another in 2 weeks to see babys heartbeat.