By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Advice on PUL/possible ectopic appreciated

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Tweetypie29

Advice on PUL/possible ectopic appreciated

Post by Tweetypie29 »

Hello,

I wanted to post on here as I’ve found other people’s stories about PUL/ectopic really helpful and I’d be really grateful if anyone might be able to share a similar experience or provide any advice to my current situation.

I started what I thought was my period on 20th Jan and thought nothing of it until I realised I had been bleeding for 8 days. That evening I stood up and had quite a lot of blood and I don’t know why, but I took a pregnancy test and it was positive. Due to the bleeding I assumed I was miscarrying and scheduled a doctors appointment the next day. I had two positive tests at the doctors and a scan was arranged at EPU the following Wednesday when I would be approx 6+1 to either confirm miscarriage or if it is a viable pregnancy.

I continued to test positive on pregnancy tests but was also continuing to spot, and at the scan they confirmed they couldn’t locate any pregnancy so assumed it was a miscarriage, but she did notice a very small swelling on my right fallopian tube so to be safe she arranged bloods to be taken. I had bloods that day then another in 48 hours. My levels so far on my blood draws have been:

140 HCG
237 HCG
317 HCG

I have had another scan where they are now classifying it as PUL, but have another blood draw this Friday, so five days since my last blood test. I feel completely anxious about the prospect of an ectopic pregnancy and possible rupture. Should I go to EPU prior to Friday and explain my nerves? Any advice or similar experiences would be really appreciated.

I also feel like nothing more has been discussed in relation to expectant management or medical management and I feel like I’ve been really badly handled in the process so far.

EPT Host 20

Re: Advice on PUL/possible ectopic appreciated

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Tweetiepie,
I am so sorry to hear of the worrying time you are going through.
Not knowing what is happening to our bodies can be extremely overwhelming and you have friends here who understand. Whilst I was not diagnosed with a pregnancy of unknown location, I was admitted to hospital with a ? ectopic pregnancy on a Friday evening of a bank holiday weekend so I had to wait until the Tuesday to be informed that I was indeed having an ectopic pregnancy and it really was the most anxious wait.
It is important to understand that Pregnancy of unknown location - (PUL) is not a diagnosis; it is a label given until the final location of the pregnancy can be identified with certainty.
In the event of a PUL, blood will be taken to measure serum progesterone and hCG and the hCG test repeated 48 hours later. The doctors would also want to repeat the scan. Until the location of the pregnancy is known definitively or the serum hormone levels have decreased to below pregnancy levels, there is a risk of complications associated with an as yet undiagnosed ectopic pregnancy.
Whilst I do not wish to alarm you, for every 100 pregnancies labelled as a PUL about 10 will subsequently be found to be ectopic; but not all of these will need treatment. If treatment is required, (methotrexate injection or surgery) this will depend on the results of blood tests and scans and I would discuss this further with you Dr.

Although I do not wish to alarm you, please seek urgent medical advice if you experience worsening pain or bleeding, shoulder tip pain, or dizziness or feeling unwell. We would gently remind you to not undertake any strenuous exercise or lifting or housework while you are waiting further tests.
I am sorry that I cannot provide you with more precise details but I hope all becomes much clearer over the forthcoming blood tests and scans.
We are here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Beej11

Re: Advice on PUL/possible ectopic appreciated

Post by Beej11 »

Heyyy

I had a PUL in November and diagnosed last week as an EP. Both times I had to ask for next steps dependant on upcoming hcg results and scans.

Hopefully you have answers by now but if not it might be worth explaining you would feel calmer if you know some possible outcomes. I think sometimes they prefer to take it one step at a time. But for me, heck, I’d like a flow chart.

Thinking of you!