By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Recovering after ectopic pregnancy

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Sony1054

Recovering after ectopic pregnancy

Post by Sony1054 »

I am on the second week of treatment with Methotrexate. I was given this after several visits and ultrasounds that showed the sac was not in my uterus or in my ovaries. With the risk of it bursting somewhere being very high this was the safest option for me. I have been feeling really tired is this normal?
I have not had any bleeding but have bad cramps. This will be a journey. I am ready to feel normal at least on the physical side. Emotionally I will get there. Day by day.

EPT Host 20

Re: Recovering after ectopic pregnancy

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Sony,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss,
I think a lot of people are surprised by how fatigued the feel following methotrexate injection. I know I was.
We have more information on methotrexate treatment and bleeding on our website which I have copied and I hope you find useful.

https://ectopic.org.uk/treating-an-ectopic-pregnancy
https://ectopic.org.uk/physical-recover ... nd-periods

The diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy, treatment with methotrexate and regular hospital visits for blood tests can be overwhelming an exhausting too. Be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve and heal both physically and emotionally.

We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Sony1054

Post by Sony1054 »

Thank you. I have not given myself proper time to grief I feel. All of this is something you don't ever think will happen to you but it did. I had an amazing doctor that was kind and understanding. He said it wasn't anything I did that sometimes it happens and no matter what they try it will not be a good pregnancy. I have to older kids and as hard as it was to make the decision to end my pregnancy I have to think that if something were to happen to me they would be left alone. I would never allow that. I was explained that if it were to burst I would end up with an emergency surgery that sometimes leads to more complications.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Sony,
Although I do not wish to alarm or upset you, if left, ectopic pregnancies can cause internal bleeding and this can be life threatening to mum. Sadly the pregnancy cannot be relocated to the womb and as it is not growing properly in the womb, would not continue to develop properly.
When diagnosed with ectopic pregnancy, there really is no other option but to have treatment. The decision is based upon your safety so please try not to feel guilty (although I know that is tricky)

Sending much love,
Karen x
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Sony1054

Post by Sony1054 »

Thank you. It has been a hard. I went to my second labs and my number is now down to 52. The cramping had stopped but I started having them again today. I have tried hard to stay positive and understand it was all for a reason that is beyond my understanding. I know it was the right decision, but that doesn't make it any easier. I have tried returning to my day today as best possible but some it is just very difficult. I want to start back up to exercising but I don't know if this would be good for my body or should I wait a little more.

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Sony,
As well as dealing with the physical recovery of ectopic pregnancy, for some, experiencing an ectopic pregnancy is a very traumatic event and it can take up to 3 months to even begin to process trauma such as these. So honestly, please be kind to yourself.
I would say as your levels are decreasing, you can restart exercise but gentle exercise initially until your levels have reached the pre-pregnancy mark.
Sending much love,
Karen x

LTQKVS

Post by LTQKVS »

I don’t want to alarm you but I ruptured at 40hcg originally thinking I was having a miscarriage so did my usual thing - please don’t take the risk I was doing aerial yoga, heavy handed gardening, carrying heavy boxes and I think that if I had known my risk I wouldn’t have done any of this!

Take it easy and take care x

Sony1054

Post by Sony1054 »

Hello everyone, I went to do labs again yesterday and a urine sample. Sample came back positive and my number is at 14 now. It made me really sad because I know there is nothing there anymore just my body still in the process. I was ready for it to be over and be done with constant reminders of what will not become a reality at least not in this point in my life.

Mariaidris

Post by Mariaidris »

I have had surgery after many visits to the hotpital they couldnt find the pregnancy until i was rushed to hospital in pain after my folopin tubed reptured ,had emergency surgery to remive my right tube and pregnancy. I am 11 days post opp there is no after care they discharged me the next day ive called in a few times regarding pain i was just advised to go to nearest ane who did nothing but prescribed antibiotics for possible uti im worried about my one tube i have left my only chance of ever getting pregnantly and have anxiety thinking about what if i ruin this tube from an unknown infection or what if somthing went wrong in the surgery because of the pain im feeling in my right side,ane with nhs is really bad i just keep getting fobbed off with just take pain killers

EPT Host 20

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Mariaidris,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss,
You are still in the early days of your Recovery and pain is quite common following surgery. Your tummy can also feel swollen and painful and again this can be normal. We would advise to use the painkillers you have been given per instructions. If your pain is not controlled when taking medication regularly of you develop a temperature or smelly vaginal discharge or your surgery wounds become red, sore and weeping, please seek medical advice again.
Sometimes if we are taking lots of painkillers it can also cause constipation where we have trouble going for a poo and this can also cause tummy pain. If this happens please speak to a local pharmacist who will be able to advise you on the best treatment.
A urinary tract infection will not affect your remaining fallopian tube so do not worry about that.
We have more information on physical recovery from ectopic pregnancy on our website here
https://ectopic.org.uk/physical-recovery

With regards to trying to conceive again, generally, when a person has only one fallopian tube and both ovaries, they are still able to get pregnant from an egg at the opposite ovary as an egg from one ovary can travel down the tube on the other side. The fallopian tubes are not attached to the ovaries and, at the point of ovulation, some very delicate structures called the fimbriae begin to move gently creating a slight vacuum to suck the egg toward the end of the tube it is nearest to (like lots of little fingers waving and drawing the egg towards it). So, if you have only one tube then there is only one set of receptors working and one set of fimbriae creating a vacuum and so the egg is much more likely to find its way to that tube, whichever ovary it is produced from. Conservative estimates suggest that an egg produced on the tubeless side manages to descend the remaining tube around 15 to 20% of the time.
While generally it is possible to conceive after an ectopic pregnancy, the amount of time it takes varies from couple to couple. Factors include age, general health, reproductive health and how often you have sex, among other things. It may be comforting to know that 65% of women are successfully pregnant within 18 months of experiencing an ectopic pregnancy and some studies suggest this rises to around 85% after two years.

Please be kind to yourself and allow time to grieve and heal both physically and emotionally. We will be here for you for as long as you need,
Sending much love,
Karen x