By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

Hcg level increased exponentially on day 4 after methotrexate

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Littlesunshine2024

Hcg level increased exponentially on day 4 after methotrexate

Post by Littlesunshine2024 »

Hi ladies,

I was diagnosed with ectopic on 28/2. Since my hcg was 1900 but no sac was visible in uterus, but a cystic structure was observed in right tube.
I had methotrexate shot on 29/2.
I had my day4 hcg test today (3/3) and the level is 7030.
Doctor is going to wait for day7 test.

Though the level is expected to rise on day4, 7030 sounds alarming to me.
Is it safe to wait till day7?
In case if it didn’t go down by 15% on day7 will I still have the option for second dose of methotrexate considering my hcg?
I’m so worried now

EPT Host 20

Re: Hcg level increased exponentially on day 4 after methotrexate

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Littlesunshine,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss,
Unfortunately I am unable to provide personalised medical advice, however your hCG level has risen quite a bit. Hopefully your levels will reduce at your next test but I would certainly contact them or seek urgent medical advice with any heavy bleeding, worsening pain, you develop shoulder tip pain or feel dizzy and unwell.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Littlesunshine2024

Thanks for your reply Karen. I don’t have and never had any pain or discomfort.
Now it is confirmed that the diagnosis was incorrect and it is just a small fibroid in my tube which is not dangerous and would resolve on its own.
Also there is a pregnancy in my uterus now. I’m devastated after knowing this.

I will be going ahead and terminating this long awaited and much loved pregnancy (baby) because of the methotrexate taken :(

I am extremely extremely unlucky. Feeling guilty and helpless.

Enfys

Post by Enfys »

I am so so sorry Littlesunshine2024 my heart breaks for you. Was the decision for methotrexate done at the first appointment or was the decision taken over some time? I am devastated for you, I can only imagine how you must feel. Sending so much love and hoping you have some good support around you xx

LTQKVS

Post by LTQKVS »

I’m so so sorry and sad to read your post littlesunshine. I can’t imagine how you must be feeling right now and how much you’re trying to process. Take care and all the time you need x

Littlesunshine2024

It was unfortunate that my gp just decided to scan me just because he had ultrasound equipment in her office. I was only 4 weeks pregnant then. She didn’t see a sac so she sent me for proper ultrasound. Unfortunately they didn’t find a sac but found a cystic structure on my right tube.
They sent me to emergency immediately.
I had no pain or any issues.
They scanned me again at the hospital the next day and since no sac was found I was given methotrexate. My hcg was only 1900.
After mtx, day my hcg shooted upto 7030, so they did a repeat scan on day5 and found a sac and yolk sac :(

Not sure why the doctors didn’t choose to wait and make a decision in my case when I had no pain and my hcg was still borderline.

Another important point is that the corpus luteum was found in my left ovary and they diagnosed ectopic on my right tube. They should have weighed all these!

I was in a shock that day and I was made to wait 12 hrs in the ED without food and water. (It was 18hrs since my last meal). I couldn’t think and make a decision too.

LTQKVS

Post by LTQKVS »

It sounds like it had to be at nearly 5 weeks to see something then?

It’s all pretty shocking and I would be attempting to take this further when you are ready - I haven’t experienced this as such but definitely a few let downs leading to a rupture that I will be putting an official complaint about when I feel ready.

I feel like you feel bad about what happened but I really hope you don’t beat yourself up - at the end of the day we trust professionals to know what they are doing and you were following their advice for the sake of your health in a state of shock - this isn’t your fault.

Enfys

Post by Enfys »

This absolutely is NOT your fault Littlesunshine2024 and please don’t let any blame or doubts about your decision making come into this.
It sounds like they did not wait until 6 weeks gestation or more at least to check for a potential intrauterine pregnancy. I was told they would not make a decision on methotrexate without a second visit and second HCG and scan, and I was 6 weeks on the dot then.
It is so important to look after yourself right now but I think at some point when you are ready you can take this up as a formal complaint, it is likely going to be important for you in processing what has happened and grieving this loss, to have proper answers as to why this happened.
I am just so so sorry you are going through this right now. You’re in my thoughts xx

Littlesunshine2024

Thank you for your kind words friends. I really really wish this doesn’t happen to any woman ever.

It’s been difficult trying to conceive with my pcos and been trying over a year. Now I have to wait 6 more months to start trying and God knows when my baby is going to come back to me.
Praying that these rough times pass soon.

Enfys

Post by Enfys »

It shouldn’t happen to any woman ever and I’m so sorry it is happening to you 😓

Littlesunshine2024

Thank you for the love ❤️

Littlesunshine2024

Just to update.

I had a d&c and laparoscopic investigation done yesterday.
The surgeon confirmed that it was a cyst in the tube.
He cleared my uterus and said that it was a healthy pregnancy and the mtx had stopped the growth.

Enfys

Post by Enfys »

My heart hurts for you reading this. I am so sorry. Thinking of you as you manage this traumatic time. Take it very easy recovering physically and take all the time you need emotionally 🫂

Littlesunshine2024

Thank you for the love and support Enfys ❤️

Enfys

Post by Enfys »

I hope you’re physically feeling a bit more comfortable. I know emotionally is a much harder road. Sending lots of hugs 🫂

Littlesunshine2024

Till 7-10 days after the procedure, I had side effects like trapped gas causing pain, thrombosis from anesthesia site, constipation, hemmoroids.
I’m ok now, just the constipation issue.
I’m getting better emotionally as well. Just counting the days until 6 months to be able to try again.

Enfys

Post by Enfys »

You’re an incredible and resilient person. It’s okay to not be okay sometimes too but so much admiration for how you’re handling this. Feel free to DM me if you ever want to.