By registering on our forum, you can view and contribute to more topics on ectopic pregnancy. Your details are confidential and we do not send unsolicited emails. For your confidentiality, you can choose your own forum name to protect your anonymity if you so wish. If you register, there is no obligation to post; you can simply take comfort from the words of others. It is entirely up to you whether you post a message or read others' experiences or do both.

What happens once bloods go down to normal after methotrexate treatment?

This is a welcoming place for you to ask your questions and share your knowledge and experiences of ectopic pregnancy.
To keep this as a safe space, before being able to post freely, an administrator will need to activate your account and authorise your first post.
Rach121

What happens once bloods go down to normal after methotrexate treatment?

Post by Rach121 »

Hello

I just trying to focus forward now and think about what happens at the end of treatment. As the journey has felt quite long and hoping to get back to some sort of normality somehow.

I found out I had ectopic pregnancy around 4 weeks ago, I’ve had two doses of methotrexate now and my hormone levels are coming down each week around about 1000 now, when they get to 0, do they do an internal scan or do you do a pregnancy test? Any advice what happens would be great, thank you.

EPT Host 20

Re: What happens once bloods go down to normal after methotrexate treatment?

Post by EPT Host 20 »

Dear Rach,
I am so sorry to hear of your ectopic pregnancy loss,
Your blood hCG levels are more accurate than urine pregnancy tests, so when they are down to pre pregnancy levels, you won't need to do a urine test.
It is not normal practice in the UK to have a scan following methotrexate treatment. If you are planning on trying to conceive following methotrexate treatment, once your hCG level has reached pre-pregnancy levels, It is important to take folic acid supplements for 12 weeks before trying to conceive.
Once all hospital visits have finished is sometimes when the emotions of everything we have been through start to surface too, so please be kind to yourself and continue to allow time to grieve and heal both physically and emotionally.
Sending much love,
Karen x

The Ectopic Pregnancy Trust
Registered Charity Number: 1071811
The EPT is awarded the PIF TICK as a Trusted Information Creator, the UK-wide quality mark for healthcare information
If the information provided here or through the EPT website has helped you, you can donate towards our support services, volunteer, or fundraise to raise awareness.
Further information is available on our website.
Email us: ept@ectopic.org.uk
We provide a call-back support line: 020 7733 2653. We are able to provide support in multiple languages including British Sign Language.
Take a look at our newsletters and subscribe to our mailing list.
Detailed medical information can be found on our website. Please remember online medical information is NO SUBSTITUTE for expert medical advice from your own health care team

Rach121

Re: What happens once bloods go down to normal after methotrexate treatment?

Post by Rach121 »

Thank you responding and for your reassurance what happens, helpful to know and yea worried that when I’m physically back to normal
The emotions may sink in, just need to take each day one day at a time and then go from there.